Please Help: Apex LDK alarm not trigger after switch activated.

wlittlefield

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do my best to be clear here. First, thank you everyone for your time- I've been through @SuncrestReef 's excellent apex guide several times and still can't figure this out.

I've successfully gotten PH and temp alerts on both my phone and email when my stats are out of the designated range.
I just set up a LDK and can't get it to actually fire alerts to my email or cell phone when the sensor is wet.
1648182725032.png

As you can see, the switch is toggled on since it's wet and the the "LeakAlarm" is set to auto. That alarm is set up like this:
1648182789512.png

Shouldn't that be enought to trigger an alarm? What am I missing?

For background I'm running a Apex EL. All software has been updated to the most current version
1648182923337.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Q: Did you configure the email address for alarms?
3-bar icon in the upper right in the phone app, select user, settings then notifications. Then you have to add and verify the email address.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do my best to be clear here. First, thank you everyone for your time- I've been through @SuncrestReef 's excellent apex guide several times and still can't figure this out.

I've successfully gotten PH and temp alerts on both my phone and email when my stats are out of the designated range.
I just set up a LDK and can't get it to actually fire alerts to my email or cell phone when the sensor is wet.
1648182725032.png

As you can see, the switch is toggled on since it's wet and the the "LeakAlarm" is set to auto. That alarm is set up like this:
1648182789512.png

Shouldn't that be enought to trigger an alarm? What am I missing?

For background I'm running a Apex EL. All software has been updated to the most current version
1648182923337.png
Your code should be with the code for your pH and temp. I don't see it in your screen shots. The alarm should have a series of things that will set the alarm.

OP
OP
wlittlefield

wlittlefield

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your code should be with the code for your pH and temp. I don't see it in your screen shots. The alarm should have a series of things that will set the alarm.
The alarm for the ph and temp are within the probe setup/configuration modules.
1648185959395.png

I'm not sure I have/can't find a base email or "EmailAlm output" which is what I think you're talking about.
1648186172051.png

OP
OP
wlittlefield

wlittlefield

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun, thanks for jumping in. Yes, I have configured both email and cellphone notifications and am getting ph probe and temp alerts on those devices, so I know the error isn't there.

Seems like my 'Leak_2' switch isn't talking with my 'LeakAlarm' alert configuration but I can't figure out why.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, you shouldn't rename your EmailAlm output (which you have renamed to "LeakAlarm"). The EmailAlm output is designed to send you notifications for any defined alarm, not just for your leak sensors. You're just confusing matters by naming it dedicated to a single alarm purpose.

Second, the Apex is only capable of sending you a single alarm notification at a time. It's possible one of your other sensors is already in the alarm state, so when you're testing the leak sensors, it won't send you a notification until that other alarm condition has been cleared. I explained this in my Apex Alarms tutorial.

Go into your Alarm Log and click back through each date on the calendar starting from today to see if there are any entries of another alarm being triggered. Each alarm should be in pairs showing the alarm ON, then the alarm OFF, such as:

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 11.36.18 PM.png

If you see an entry for the Alarm ON, but no corresponding Alarm OFF, then that particular issue is holding the alarm ON, and preventing the leak alarm notification from being sent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wlittlefield

wlittlefield

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, you shouldn't rename your EmailAlm output (which you have renamed to "LeakAlarm"). The EmailAlm output is designed to send you notifications for any defined alarm, not just for your leak sensors. You're just confusing matters by naming it dedicated to a single alarm purpose.

Second, the Apex is only capable of sending you a single alarm notification at a time. It's possible one of your other sensors is already in the alarm state, so when you're testing the leak sensors, it won't send you a notification until that other alarm condition has been cleared. I explained this in my Apex Alarms tutorial.

Go into your Alarm Log and click back through each date on the calendar starting from today to see if there are any entries of another alarm being triggered. Each alarm should be in pairs showing the alarm ON, then the alarm OFF, such as:

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 11.36.18 PM.png

If you see an entry for the Alarm ON, but no corresponding Alarm OFF, then that particular issue is holding the alarm ON, and preventing the leak alarm notification from being sent.
I understand you're the resident expert on these issues so thank you so much for your attention @SuncrestReef.

First, I've gone through and renamed 'LeakAlarm' to 'EmailAlm' to reset that. Thank you.

I haven't gone back through every day I've had the Apex (3-4 years I think!) But I am getting the ph alerts to my phone and they appear to be ON then Off in a corresponding fashion. If there was an alert that was stuck on, wouldn't that prevent those alerts from coming through as well?

I really appreciate your advice- I'm just hesitant to crawl through alarm data for what might be 1000+ entries worth of data.

The only sensors I'm running are the temp and PH (since it's the EL model).

UPDATED AS I WAS WRITING:

Thank you very much. This appears to be solved. The issue was this (and your answer was key in figuring out the solution)- I have DOS system that I have not been running for years. It wasn't sending an email alert/message, but the system was creating an alert on the system that this module was missing. I went and plugged in the inactive DOS, tested the leak kit and immediately got an alert.

Thank you so much for your help thinking through this problem!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand you're the resident expert on these issues so thank you so much for your attention @SuncrestReef.

First, I've gone through and renamed 'LeakAlarm' to 'EmailAlm' to reset that. Thank you.

I haven't gone back through every day I've had the Apex (3-4 years I think!) But I am getting the ph alerts to my phone and they appear to be ON then Off in a corresponding fashion. If there was an alert that was stuck on, wouldn't that prevent those alerts from coming through as well?

I really appreciate your advice- I'm just hesitant to crawl through alarm data for what might be 1000+ entries worth of data.

The only sensors I'm running are the temp and PH (since it's the EL model).

UPDATED AS I WAS WRITING:

Thank you very much. This appears to be solved. The issue was this (and your answer was key in figuring out the solution)- I have DOS system that I have not been running for years. It wasn't sending an email alert/message, but the system was creating an alert on the system that this module was missing. I went and plugged in the inactive DOS, tested the leak kit and immediately got an alert.

Thank you so much for your help thinking through this problem!
I'm glad you figured it out.

Neptune just recently added this new feature to alarm when a module is disconnected, which would explain why it didn't block any alarms in the past.

For future reference (and for others following this thread), another way to track down if a different alarm condition is blocking new alarms from coming through is to temporarily move the EmailAlm slider from AUTO to the OFF position. At that point the Apex should send you an Alarm OFF notification. Once you've received that OFF notification, move the EmailAlm slider back to AUTO. If there is some condition in the alarm state, it will send you a new Alarm ON notification containing a description of what's causing it. This can be a quicker process than sifting through dates on the Alarm Log.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 39 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back