Please help - Banggai Cardinals

Raven09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Banggai Cardinals and I believe the male is sick. I have tried all different types of food and the female loves frozen brine shrimp. I look at the male and I never see him eat.
My problem, tonight I noticed what I think is a darken spot on his gills. By the picture you can notice a darken spot right behind the second black strip from his mouth. He swims fine, no gasping for oxygen and all looks fine but he won’t eat. They are 5 days away from going into the DT.
PLEASE ANYONE GIVE SOME ADVICE!!

CAB39C3A-5289-4426-A327-E22299EF643E.jpeg F38B93CF-0A06-40D5-A6DC-249A059352DA.jpeg 7C2D4FB7-BD5F-4B7F-B31E-5F7D8FF875FA.jpeg

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it is not sick. However, I have a mated pair and when the male is carrying offspring in it's mouth I have never witnessed it eating during this state. Hopefully it is that and not actually sick. My male also looks like it has a mouth full of marbles when carrying.

OP
OP
Raven09

Raven09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it is not sick. However, I have a mated pair and when the male is carrying offspring in it's mouth I have never witnessed it eating during this state. Hopefully it is that and not actually sick. My male also looks like it has a mouth full of marbles when carrying.
What are those darken areas near his gills? When we bought them, I don’t remember those darken areas. I was looking more for ICH. The female does not have those darken areas. Just worried. They are 5 days from going into the DT. Should I wait a bit longer?

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know about the darkened areas, but I would wait longer and observe for issues.

OP
OP
Raven09

Raven09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this morning the male, I believe, died. His nice silver color got dark then flat on the bottom of the tank, then trying to swim, then back flat. I finally called it and removed him before to long.
See next post.

OP
OP
Raven09

Raven09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, how to get over the loses. It does not get easier. But, now how to introduce another mate to my remaining Banggai Cardinal. Do I buy one, or three and hope my remaining Cardinal will find a mate?? Any advice on how to deal with this?? Do I place my remaining Cardinal into the DT, she has been in the hospital tank for 25 days? Do I leaver her in the hospital tank until I find her a mate?
To many questions and not enough answers, yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you have 2 males, a fight is evident and I see what looks like flesh from an injury or fight
If you have not seen them fighting, try placing your phone in front of the tank on video mode for 30 mins and walk away
Check back and review video and see if they’re fighting

OP
OP
Raven09

Raven09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time I will. I only have one left¡

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back