PLEASE HELP!!!! H2O2 DIP GONE WRONG!!!

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... Very angry right now...btw just came back from reefpalozza in Cali. Awesome show!!

Back to the issue.
I bought some zoas. I used to never do h2o2 dips but rather conventional dips. I read up on thread here.. I won't mention the posters name... But I took his advice which he swears by.. and did a 50/50 ratio dip at 3% h2o2 for 2.5 minutes after a 10 minute coral rx dip. Now, they don't look good at all... One frag appears to be melting at first and the others are hanging in and just closed up. The one that appeared to be melting is now looking deflated and looking like $#+*t right now .. ....

So... Am I just being paranoid and freaking out.. and they'll pull thru? The poster on that thread swears that a 50/50 dip does wonders for this zoas. Looks like it only works for him.

I apologize for my rant.. but it does hurt getting a coral and dying on ya hours later. Never gets old.

So.. do you guys think it's gonna pull thru? Is it normal for the zoa to look like this after a peroxide dip? It's been an hour since I put it in the tank.. it looks much more deflated than it did before the dip.

Please help.

Thanks always guys!

IMG_20230805_185916858~2.jpg IMG_20230805_190314742~2.jpg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never do a dip like that but I think you’re ok. Zoas can take a ton of abuse and have a habit of staying closed when stressed.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never do a dip like that but I think you’re ok. Zoas can take a ton of abuse and have a habit of staying closed when stressed.
Agreed. And yeah I think as long as you have good water they should be able to pull through, but they do look really unhappy

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man... Thanks guys!

I hate how certain procedures work for some and not for others.. I know it's hard to have discernment in this hobby esp things like this... But man! It's gonna suck if it dies. It kinda looks like a stratosphere without the circular pattern. Ugh...

I think I'm never gonna do a hydrogen dip ever again! I'm just gonna stick with coral rx.

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have excellent water. Tank is a year old! 10 gallon nano with an tenuous acro flourishing so water is very good!

I also prepped my tank last night with a water change in preparation for the new corals today.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for you man.
I used Hydro 3% for dino treatment.
1ml every 10 gallons, lights out, dosed every other day.
Killed the Dino’s, but several SPS and 2 clams.
Never touch that stuff again.

My fingers crossed for a full recovery!

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for you man.
I used Hydro 3% for dino treatment.
1ml every 10 gallons, lights out, dosed every other day.
Killed the Dino’s, but several SPS and 2 clams.
Never touch that stuff again.

My fingers crossed for a full recovery!
Awww man!!!!!
I'm so sorry to hear that.. I followed the same treatment to kill off dinos too. Dinos gone. But my zoas that Hitchhiked on my Australian rock... Goner. So sad. That zoa had a very unique teal face and bright green skirts..

Sorry to hear. I hope my zoas recover. Esp the one I like.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide should be reserved for stubborn algae issues as it doesn’t offer you any help in the way of treating for pests except perhaps hydroids (IME).

Have I treated in that potent of a dip? Yes, have they survived? 50/50. The kicker is that polyps generally need to be closed before being placed in the dip.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... Very angry right now...btw just came back from reefpalozza in Cali. Awesome show!!

Back to the issue.
I bought some zoas. I used to never do h2o2 dips but rather conventional dips. I read up on thread here.. I won't mention the posters name... But I took his advice which he swears by.. and did a 50/50 ratio dip at 3% h2o2 for 2.5 minutes after a 10 minute coral rx dip. Now, they don't look good at all... One frag appears to be melting at first and the others are hanging in and just closed up. The one that appeared to be melting is now looking deflated and looking like $#+*t right now .. ....

So... Am I just being paranoid and freaking out.. and they'll pull thru? The poster on that thread swears that a 50/50 dip does wonders for this zoas. Looks like it only works for him.

I apologize for my rant.. but it does hurt getting a coral and dying on ya hours later. Never gets old.

So.. do you guys think it's gonna pull thru? Is it normal for the zoa to look like this after a peroxide dip? It's been an hour since I put it in the tank.. it looks much more deflated than it did before the dip.

Please help.

Thanks always guys!

IMG_20230805_185916858~2.jpg IMG_20230805_190314742~2.jpg
How are they looking this morning?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do full strength (3%) h2o2 dips if the frag is covered in algae, for 2 minutes. They will look like crap for a couple days, but (for me) always come back looking good. I don't do this to new frags though, and wait a few days after acquiring before treating for algae. I think your zoas will be okay after a few days to a week.

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Looks fine. It will bounce back in a week. I have messed up my zoas badly in my whole system before and they all were looking fine in a week. Dont bother it or try to dip it in anything that will make it more stressed.

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FWIW, I usually do a 100% peroxide dip for two minutes with zoa frags. It takes them a bit of time to recover, but it works extremely well. There's all sorts of nasties that come in on zoas, so I don't take my chances.

I have personally not lost a single polyp with this method.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals always look like dog poop when I dip, and I just use coral MD from brightwell aquatics. I never see it mentioned, smells like essential oils, but its knocked off some strange critters so I am sticking with it for now.

My duncan took a few days to recover from it, everything else looks better within the hour. I assume its normal for them to look bad if the dip was harsh on them. I had a candycane I thought for sure died during the 5 minutes after it looked so fd and was shooting its guts out, but it looked bettee not long after being in the tank. Time will tell.

Tyler Drehobl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like it should bounce back. IMO 50/50 is a bit strong, I do h202 dips (1 part h202 to 10 parts tank water for 5 minutes) whenever I get a frag that has an algae issue. Zoas usually bounce back same/next day and algae is gonna within 2-3 days after the dip.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back