How do you dip?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched an older video (1yr or so old) and the guy dips his corals in an antibiotic called oxolinic acid, iodine, and coral dip. Not sure in what order. BUT anyway I am curious if you have a frag or colony coming in that you paid a decent amount of money for, what is your go-to for the coral to give it its best chance at success?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is more prophylactic. I dip in Seachem reef dip. It kills a lot. LFS gives me DR G though. It is also good

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Seachem Reef Dip. I take all water that the coral comes in and mix slowly with tank water, depends on amount for how many corals. A blaster helps blow off anything bad.

aleksander Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a standard dip I just go for iodine and revive at respective doses. But I quarantine all new coral in ciprofloxacin for 8 days concentration of 0,495 mg/L
I would not dip corals in antibiotics.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a standard dip I just go for iodine and revive at respective doses. But I quarantine all new coral in ciprofloxacin for 8 days concentration of 0,495 mg/L
I would not dip corals in antibiotics.
uneducated on this but isn't cipro hard to get your hands on? and how are you quarantining a whole different tank?

aleksander Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uneducated on this but isn't cipro hard to get your hands on? and how are you quarantining a whole different tank?
Depending where you are from you may need a prescription. A quarantine tank can be as simple as a 10 gallon aquarium with a hang on the back filter. And a small heater. Powerhead recommend. Setup cost around 100-150usd. I do have a dedicated 55 gallon quarantine tank with sump for new coral arrivals.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip using CoralRx. For a while I was also quarantining my corals for 20-30 days but I destroyed a bunch of them by accident. That said, I’ll probably go back to dipping and quarantine.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back