Please help! I think my new fish dog face puffer has ich :/ in the QT. How do I treat w/ copper

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my puffer just 2 days ago and he has not been eating but didn't think much of it since its a new environment for him. I fed him a shrimp today tht I got from the fish market and surprisingly he took like 3 chunks of it but then I noticed some spots on him.

Since I got him he is usually just laying there with his tail curved and one of his fins pinned in. Does not really swim around. Thankfully he is in my qt 10 gallon but if it is ich how do I treat the qt please? Do I have to change the water to treat with copper? Or can I just start treating with copper in the tank even if the water is infected?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't treat a puffer with copper. Tank transfer method or hyposalinity are the most practical treatment options for a puffer with ich; discussed in more detail here (scroll down): https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/189658-treatment-options-my-two-cents.html

Now, your best option would be Chloroquine phosphate (CP). I actually just recently successfully treated a Dogface Puffer (with ich) with CP, so I know it's safe & effective to use on them. You can read more about CP here: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/192309-chloroquine-phosphate.html

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just read your experience, so do I have to go to a vet to get CP prescribed?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just read your experience, so do I have to go to a vet to get CP prescribed?

Yes, that's the downside to CP (also expect to pay $5-6/gram for it). But it's the only way to be sure you are getting the "good stuff". If you buy it off ebay or something, who knows what you're really getting.

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ... Ok! I'll try to get a prescription but I'd be worried about them saying they will not give me a prescription [emoji85] so you do not think copper is a good idea at all with my puffer?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ... Ok! I'll try to get a prescription but I'd be worried about them saying they will not give me a prescription [emoji85] so you do not think copper is a good idea at all with my puffer?

Puffers are a known copper sensitive species. Tank transfer method would be your best option for immediate relief. A puffer would handle hyposalinity with relative ease, but IMO hypo is probably the least effective method for eradicating ich.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 59 42.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.7%
Back