Please help I'd this for me

Deep Dive Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these things all over my tank. I don't know what they are or from what frag they may have came in on. They seem to be eating my pods which I'm not too happy about because there's so many and I just bought. They do seem to grow everywhere even on coral in one case for sure. I'd love to know if the are bad and how to get rid of them.

20221212_004055.jpg 20221212_003124.jpg 20221212_003847.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the above - pineapple sponges (genus Sycon). They're not actually capable of eating pods, as the pods are too big for them (and most other sponges too). They have been demonstrated to be capable of eating tiny microalgae (less than 20 microns) and bacteria though.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Pineapple sponges. I had an infestation when I first started a 15 gallon. Based on the rock color...looks like a new-ish tank? Took me a few weeks of scrubbing the rocks of them and picking them out of my filter to get them to not come back. Not "harmful" but can become burdensome as they can reproduce quickly. If you like them, let them be, if not, let the tank cycle more (if it's new) and keep removing them physically till they don't come back.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Pineapple sponges. I had an infestation when I first started a 15 gallon. Based on the rock color...looks like a new-ish tank? Took me a few weeks of scrubbing the rocks of them and picking them out of my filter to get them to not come back. Not "harmful" but can become burdensome as they can reproduce quickly. If you like them, let them be, if not, let the tank cycle more (if it's new) and keep removing them physically till they don't come back.
Just to add to this - pineapple sponges are common in new tanks, and they typically go away on their own after a while (their population typically booms then busts in our tanks).

OP
OP
Deep Dive Aquatics

Deep Dive Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the help! I looked online and couldn't find it anywhere. Set up this account mainly to find out what they are. I'll remove as much as I can when I can.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back