Please help me choose a DC Return Pump upgrade

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to upgrade my dual Sicce SDC 3.0 pumps to something with higher output that doesn't need to be running at 80-100%.

So here are the options that I'm aware of, and pros/cons.:

• Sicce SDC 7.0
    • Pro - Great warranty, great company. WiFi compatible.
    • Con - Noisy. I want something quieter
  • Red Sea ReefRun
    • Pro - Great warranty. Can get a controller so I can run with my app.
      • also I just really like their aesthetic and I'm a sucker for their branding, the box, etc. Support is decent.
    • Con - It's basically Sicce. It's loud - I listened to one myself at the LFS. Pretty much a non-starter.
      • Controller is an extra $150 which sucks.
  • Vectra
    • Pro - supposedly silent (haven't tested). Good brand. WiFi
    • Con - HUGE. These things are really bulky and I can't fit two in my return chamber. Non-starter
      • Also, you have to get the screen separate and the screens are like 3 inches long - nutty.
  • Varios
    • Pro - compact and quiet
    • Con - no WiFi. That seems to be around the corner.
What I really want is quiet, compact, and Wi Fi. Money isn't an issue (no abyzz though, not doing the $1k+ stuff)

Help me - what about some of these other brands out there?

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had great results with all sicce pumps, I currently run a sicce sdc 3.0 on my 40 gallon and it does have some wifi and app issues but other than that the pump itself does great.

Rothric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to upgrade my dual Sicce SDC 3.0 pumps to something with higher output that doesn't need to be running at 80-100%.

• Sicce SDC 7.0
  • Red Sea ReefRun
      • also I just really like their aesthetic and I'm a sucker for their branding, the box, etc. Support is decent.
    • Con - It's basically Sicce. It's loud - I listened to one myself at the LFS. Pretty much a non-starter.
  • Vectra
    • Con - HUGE. These things are really bulky and I can't fit two in my return chamber. Non-starter
      • Also, you have to get the screen separate and the screens are like 3 inches long - nutty.
  • Varios
What I really want is quiet, compact, and Wi Fi. Money isn't an issue (no abyzz though, not doing the $1k+ stuff)

What about a Sicce SDC 9.0? It would allow you to run the pump at a lower wattage for noise. I have a 9.0 on my 150g and only running it at 20%. Very quiet at that level, but definitely is noisier if turned up closer to full throttle.

I have the 9.0 just in case I start to use my manifold and need some extra power.

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• Sicce SDC 7.0
  • Red Sea ReefRun
  • Vectra
  • Varios

im not aware of any pump has all of what you are asking for. I’m using 2 Varioss and they are fantastic.

why don’t you go bigger? Any pump will get louder at higher rpm lets say after 65-70%

if you are planning to get or already have a controller. Almost all of them could be connected to it and can be controlled remotel.

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not aware of any pump has all of what you are asking for. I’m using 2 Varioss and they are fantastic.

why don’t you go bigger? Any pump will get louder at higher rpm lets say after 65-70%

if you are planning to get or already have a controller. Almost all of them could be connected to it and can be controlled remotel.
I don’t have a controller and don’t have space for one so I wanted Wi-Fi

I am leaning heavy to varios for quiet - i want 2x varios 6

Btw - it seems that OCTO is rolling out a wi fi controller for their powerheads so we should have one for the return pumps someday

Last edited:

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao smart DC pumps all the way, overpowered and you can buy 5 At the price of a name brand to make up for any possible failures!

I am a huge fan now, i use a small one for a reactor manifold externally, and one for my return internally. My internal one froze once, and it also happened to be in the same hour the app was overhauled so bad luck on bad luck I wasn't alerted as you normally would be, but my hydros screamed about it anyway. Easy to completely disassemble and fix/swap parts like any sicce, but cheeeaaaap.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a varios fan. They run solid for years. The float switch has saved me on my skimmer. On a return pump it could save you or turn into a loop where it turns off because the water is too low then back on because the water in the sump rises, then back off when it is too low- etc. I still really like them and use them for my returns, skimmers & water station.

wlmalek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a controller and don’t have space for one so I wanted Wi-Fi

I am leaning heavy to varios for quiet - i want 2x varios 6

Btw - it seems that OCTO is rolling out a wi fi controller for their powerheads so we should have one for the return pumps someday
If im not wrong varios10 has wifi controller. So, as you have mentioned maybe they will turn all theirs to wifi in the future

if you are going varios. Try to get separate parts ( pump-power supply) only and get Hydros power engine as a controller (it can control two pumps). you will pay more for sure but if its reasonable and meets what you are looking for go for it.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooh that varios10 looks nice (although 1k). Good call on hydros connectivity- that’s what I’d do (you can control it better than their classic controller)

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Varios here! It feels like I’m the only one, because lots of people rave about how quiet Sicce pumps are. However I had two Sicce “silent” pumps 5 years ago and they were SO loud. When I switched to a Varios I legitimately didn’t believe it was on, it was that quiet.

I give it a citric acid bath once a year and have had zero complaints for the past 4 years. I’ve found I really don’t need fancy wifi control options in an app for a return pump, just ON/OFF when doing maintenance.

One of the best reefing purchases I made was a smart power strip. Essentially like a normal power strip but each socket is a smart plug. Now all I have to do when I have wet hands is say “Siri turn off the return pump.” :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
M

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If im not wrong varios10 has wifi controller. So, as you have mentioned maybe they will turn all theirs to wifi in the future

if you are going varios. Try to get separate parts ( pump-power supply) only and get Hydros power engine as a controller (it can control two pumps). you will pay more for sure but if its reasonable and meets what you are looking for go for it.
Thanks for the rec

I was already open to the silly reefrun controller + two reefrun pumps, because I'm stupid and I love RedSea gear

I think I've come to a decision - and will use this controller + return pump combo

It's a shame that they're dragging their feet on offering the new wifi ready controller

1696360410706.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back