Please help my parameters

Kdancerchik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help my parameters

First I want to start by saying I use the api saltwater and reef test kits. I believe these are what the tests results.

I have no coral but I would really like to get some soon. But first I need to figure this out. I’ve done a few hours of research over the past few days and I want to make sure I’m understanding everything correctly.

I am super stumped on how to get my ammonia and phosphate down. In the months that I’ve had the tank my parameters are pretty steady. I just started dosing calcium that is why there was a jump. I dosed a bottle of bacteria when I started the tank before fish. About 2 weeks later I added 2 clown fish. I noticed my ammonia wasn’t at zero about a month later and dosed another full bottle (rated for 75g my tank is 55g)

I tested my source rodi water and my phosphate was still at .25ppm. Is there anything I can do to lower it? I did add some phosphate sponges in the filter (hob) but I’m not confident it will lower it at all.

Any recommendations are much appreciated.

I also want to say the only thing I have lost in my tank was an anemone but I took it out as soon as I noticed it was dead. Everything else looks great.

I have 2 clownfish, 1 tomini tang, 1 Pygmy angelfish, 3 regal damsels, 1 derasa clam, 1 tuxedo urchin, 3 snails, about 10 hermit crabs, 1 banded coral shrimp
38C84088-3FE4-4C10-9472-E17FDC6E6BA3.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about the ammonia (you'll always get a slight reading whenever you test), but some bio media (MarinePure, PolypLab) can help with converting stray ammonia into nitrites. I recommend the SeaChem Ammonia Alert badge that you can place in your tank instead (lasts for about a year).

As for nitrates, they're really low (you do want some). TLF makes a liquid PhosBan product (read the instructions for dilution and start off with a reduced dose) that's been really effective. A gradual as opposed to radical reduction is always best (typically over a week or so).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back