PLEASE HELP. So mad!!!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay usually I can catch problem fish in my tank. Catch unruly tangs all the time for no no box if needed. But I cant catch this freaking menace butterfly. He is eating my torches. Lost two to him already. My big skittles one isnt happy cause he is picking at it!!! Never used a fish trap. Anyone have recommendations on what the best one is? This dude needs to go to my 70 thats a FOWLR.

Boodleshire Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the most success with the Icecap and Bubble Magus fish traps. Just make sure you get the right size. They can be a little finicky, but once you get the hang of it, adding your target fishes favorite food to it and waiting patiently have always worked for me at least.

Depending on your hardscape, getting a friend and two nets each sometimes work for me too.

The key in both scenarios is patience. I've spent 40 minutes catching one fish before, which seems like a long time, but its nothing compared to months of having a headache in your aquarium, causing trouble.

Good luck

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had the most success with the Icecap and Bubble Magus fish traps. Just make sure you get the right size. They can be a little finicky, but once you get the hang of it, adding your target fishes favorite food to it and waiting patiently have always worked for me at least.

Depending on your hardscape, getting a friend and two nets each sometimes work for me too.

The key in both scenarios is patience. I've spent 40 minutes catching one fish before, which seems like a long time, but its nothing compared to months of having a headache in your aquarium, causing trouble.

Good luck
Get a fish trap - put food in - let the fish go in and out until it's comfortable for a day or 2 - then catch it. Also - if its a clear trap, I stacked some rock around it so it looked more like a cave - which helped considerably.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck
Ill try that. Ive been trying to catch the dingbat for an hour and a half and all I have to show for it is an eel bite, a re arranged rock work, ticked off tangs and a foxface in the “sky is falling” mode -_-

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Again - try the rocks around the trap - it took me 5 days and 5 corals to decide to do it - and the fish was caught within a couple hours

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill try that. Ive been trying to catch the dingbat for an hour and a half and all I have to show for it is an eel bite, a re arranged rock work, ticked off tangs and a foxface in the “sky is falling” mode -_-
A eel bite!!?! Let's see what that looks like.., if you don't mind

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A eel bite!!?! Let's see what that looks like.., if you don't mind
Lol it was more a nick from her teeth, she got part of the back side of my hand when I had it near her hole scaring the butterfly out! Lucky since it was a part of my hand she couldnt get a good grip! Would have been screwed if it was a finger or the side of my hand! I can show you but its not anything to see really, only realized she tried to bite me when I saw her head sticking out lol. Also lucky it was the snowflake not the jeweled!

Edit: its small now but its like she stabbed me with her tooth. Was deeper then it looks and bleeding with a few other smaller holes from her teeth. Super lucky!!! Stung more than anything. Also the picture is of it now, didnt get one when it happened

IMG_3150.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had luck catching fish by turning on just the red spectrum of my lighting. The fish seem to not be able to see well in it.
Hum I have red sea lights, no red setting but thats super interesting

Saltwater Dreamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how to help (being a novice and all…) but I am loving your comical approach to your problem! I’m still dealing with my rabbitfish having an unhealthy obsession with my snowflake eel. So if you have any fun solutions to that I’m happy to hear! I’ve already been told to get a shrink fish for therapy appointments which I loved!

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it was more a nick from her teeth, she got part of the back side of my hand when I had it near her hole scaring the butterfly out! Lucky since it was a part of my hand she couldnt get a good grip! Would have been screwed if it was a finger or the side of my hand! I can show you but its not anything to see really, only realized she tried to bite me when I saw her head sticking out lol. Also lucky it was the snowflake not the jeweled!

Edit: its small now but its like she stabbed me with her tooth. Was deeper then it looks and bleeding with a few other smaller holes from her teeth. Super lucky!!! Stung more than anything. Also the picture is of it now, didnt get one when it happened

IMG_3150.jpeg
Jeez, never a dull moment huh.at least its nothing serious. How big is this butterfly?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez, never a dull moment huh.at least its nothing serious. How big is this butterfly?
He is about 2 inches. Thiner body style too and loves to go sideways under rocks, hence how I ended up with my hand in front of the eels cave!!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how to help (being a novice and all…) but I am loving your comical approach to your problem! I’m still dealing with my rabbitfish having an unhealthy obsession with my snowflake eel. So if you have any fun solutions to that I’m happy to hear! I’ve already been told to get a shrink fish for therapy appointments which I loved!
Whats your rabbit do with the eel??

Saltwater Dreamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your rabbit do with the eel??
Basically the rabbit won’t leave him alone. Reverses into the eel’s log with him, when the eel tries to leave the rabbit just blocks the exit. I found the rabbit quite happily sitting on the eels head as well. When the eel is able to escape, the rabbit presses himself into the eel and when the eel is in full flight (he is beautiful to watch), the rabbit follows in his wake. They are definitely an odd couple …
IMG_1854.jpeg

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny this has come up . I was watching a video last night and it’s a plastic bubble on the inside of the tank and a magnet on the outside. The fish goes in for food and you pull the magnet and it turns up straight and captures the fish also floating too the top it was on y tube

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back