PLEASE help!

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed some white spots on a couple of my euphyllia. I've looked at previous posts on here and have seen some similar looking pics from other people but no positive ID. I just need to know if this is a parasite and will it kill my coral? They're on 1 torch and a hammer that's right next to it. They're small white dots. I picked one (white dot) and kept my eyes on it for approx 5 minutes before it moved! Idk if it was my eyes playing tricks on me but I'm freaking out!! The hammer idrc about but this tiger torch cost me $300 and I can't lose it

20231226_144701~2.jpg 20231226_144645.jpg 20231226_144655.jpg

OP
OP
A

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to pick up some reef primer. I've done a dip but unfortunately show no signs of the white spots going away. They are definitely some kind of bug/parasite. Upon more research I've found out that quite a few people have unfortunately come into contact with these things but no one seems to know what they are. Interceptor seems to be the recommended course of action but idk how to get ahold of it.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to pick up some reef primer. I've done a dip but unfortunately show no signs of the white spots going away. They are definitely some kind of bug/parasite. Upon more research I've found out that quite a few people have unfortunately come into contact with these things but no one seems to know what they are. Interceptor seems to be the recommended course of action but idk how to get ahold of it.
Put interceptor into search on here. There’s a bunch of threads. Is there a petco or even a Walmart near you. It’s a dog flea and tick treatment

crazereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually you can explain your issue to a vet, most will prescribe it. What did you find out they are?

OP
OP
A

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually you can explain your issue to a vet, most will prescribe it. What did you find out they are?
No, unfortunately I've got no clue. They are 100% a bug of some kind but no ID on what kind. I suppose I'll try to contact my regular vet for my dog and see if they'd be willing to prescribe it.

OP
OP
A

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put interceptor into search on here. There’s a bunch of threads. Is there a petco or even a Walmart near you. It’s a dog flea and tick treatment
I've got several pet stores around me, but I was under the impression interceptor is a prescription only medication. I wonder if an over the counter flea and tick medication would work the same

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got several pet stores around me, but I was under the impression interceptor is a prescription only medication. I wonder if an over the counter flea and tick medication would work the same
Yeah I’m not a 100% sure. I’ve never had to use it. Although I’ve had red bugs before. They killed an acro colony then disappeared

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are online vet shops that sell all the prescription meds but for marine market. You won’t need a script however the government is cracking down and soon they will not be able to sell it for the marine market without a script. Try Heartland veterinary supplies, I’ve got antibiotics from them with out a script. If not it may be one of those over the phone vet approved purchases.

OP
OP
A

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are online vet shops that sell all the prescription meds but for marine market. You won’t need a script however the government is cracking down and soon they will not be able to sell it for the marine market without a script. Try Heartland veterinary supplies, I’ve got antibiotics from them with out a script. If not it may be one of those over the phone vet approved purchases.
Thanks! Do you happen to know which one to get? There's different size ranges for different sized dogs?

OP
OP
A

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and picked the biggest one and it still is requiring vet info/prescription info.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and picked the biggest one and it still is requiring vet info/prescription info.
Do you have a dog? Take it in and request interceptor. No, look for a vet that advertises the treat exotic animals as well as cats and dogs. My vet does this, I’m confident if I brought a picture of my tank in with the info as to why I needed it, he would give it to me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If moving and are bugs , one interceptor pill will treat 100-120 gallons dosed day one each 8 hours 2-3x then repeat once a week (every 7 days- Not daily)

OP
OP
A

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed today that the white bugs are spreading to other euphyllia and even a plate coral.
These coral do NOT seem to be bothered by these bugs but I sure am.
(Let me preface by saying I absolutely DESPISE talking on the phone) I took the time today to call 5 vets in my local area and all of them told me they could only prescribe a medication for its intended use (they won't work with my issue.) I'm at a loss. Idk what I can do from here besides hope that these bugs dont cause me to lose any of my coral. I'm tempted to buy fleas online and intentionally give my dog fleas to obtain this medication but that obviously wouldn't be fair to my dog. Any further suggestions?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 58 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back