please id

Toni L McNeely

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 29, 2015
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I did this right I have white things n my tank can anyone tell me what it is
IMG_20151120_215127.jpg
IMG_20151120_215127.jpg
 
Those are worms that use the substrate to build a tunnel.
I'm sorry I don't know what the name of the worm is but absolutely harmless
 
Those are worms that use the substrate to build a tunnel.
I'm sorry I don't know what the name of the worm is but absolutely harmless
Thank you for your reply, but what tunnel are they building? I am glad that it is harmless
 
Its just a tube that they build.
Let me see if I can get someone to help id this worm.
@KJ
 
Pectinaria Polychaete?
 
They're called Chaetopterids and as said perviously, they are harmless. Some people have had issues with them basically cementing their sandbed, but that's not very common.
 
They're called Chaetopterids and as said perviously, they are harmless. Some people have had issues with them basically cementing their sandbed, but that's not very common.
thanks Lionfish I looked it up and that is what
They're called Chaetopterids and as said perviously, they are harmless. Some people have had issues with them basically cementing their sandbed, but that's not very common.
Thank you but should i keep them in the tank they are all over the sand
 
You can maybe pull some out during regular maintenance, but I wouldn't mess with it too much. Their numbers may decline on there own, so I wouldn't mess with it. You'll drive yourself insane. Even though I have heard of them cementing a couple of people's sandbed, it's pretty rare or we would have heard from more like it. If you stick your fingers down in the sand, you can probably sift out a few easily.
 
You can maybe pull some out during regular maintenance, but I wouldn't mess with it too much. Their numbers may decline on there own, so I wouldn't mess with it. You'll drive yourself insane. Even though I have heard of them cementing a couple of people's sandbed, it's pretty rare or we would have heard from more like it. If you stick your fingers down in the sand, you can probably sift out a few easily.
Thanks again Lionfish this was most helpful I was very concerned about it. Now i can ease my mind
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new