64e3eb5be17e5489e77d6a537bd0e5ac.jpg
49edf8bc6abd1f41c3c82325a2bb59b3.jpg

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inverts are white spotted anemone shrimp, Periclimenes brevicarpalis. I don't know about the tangs.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, anemone shrimp (sexy shrimp) are reef safe. The tang looks like a bariene.. an in water pic may also help. He's definetly a looker!

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, anemone shrimp (sexy shrimp) are reef safe. The tang looks like a bariene.. an in water pic may also help. He's definetly a looker!

It's actually not a sexy shrimp, which is Thor amboinensis. These particular specimens are Periclimenes brevicarpalis, another species of anemone shrimp. There doesn't seem to be a ton of information about them without some deeper research.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually not a sexy shrimp, which is Thor amboinensis. These particular specimens are Periclimenes brevicarpalis, another species of anemone shrimp. There doesn't seem to be a ton of information about them without some deeper research.

Good to know, thanks for the correction

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang looks like Acanthurus thompsoni or Acanthurus fowleri
A better picture would help (Submerged)
It was sent to me by a wholeseller. Ill ask him if he can send. But anyways since its acanthurus species, they might grow pretty large (right?). So might not buy it.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the shrimp id and having kept them know them to be reefsafe. They have a common name of anemone shrimp here and it sums them up perfectly (although they will also lI've on fleshy lps like fungia or duncans if you dont have one). Best for a quiet tank without boisterous fish.

The first tang is a bristletooth. It's hard to say for certain but possible a ctenochaetus cyanocheilus.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the shrimp id and having kept them know them to be reefsafe. They have a common name of anemone shrimp here and it sums them up perfectly (although they will also lI've on fleshy lps like fungia or duncans if you dont have one). Best for a quiet tank without boisterous fish.

The first tang is a bristletooth. It's hard to say for certain but possible a ctenochaetus cyanocheilus.
The bristletooths stay under 6" right?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So the tang wont grow large right? Will stay under 6"?

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first tang looks sorta like a maculiceps freckled tang (most likely not the correct ID).. my LFS just got one in and I immediately thought about this thread, lol.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the first tang is a two-spot bristletooth (Ctenochaetus binotatus) Personally, would say 75g (4ft) or more for any tang long-term, but this is one of the smaller tangs so you might be ok with a 3ft tank for a time. The second one will get very large, and LOVES to swim.

Cool find on the shrimp!

Back