Plugging Tunze ATO into Apex

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I feel a little dumb for having to ask, but some googling and R2R searches haven't quite answered my questions. I'm going to plug my Tunze ATO into my Apex Classic to make my life easier during feed mode. I can't stand having to unplug the ATO before shutting off the return to keep it from screaming when the sump level rises, and then remembering to plug it back in when done. I could just move the float valve above the high water line and leave the optical sensor where it is, but then I run the risk of an overflow since it won't alarm until the sump is 5" from overflowing and I'll have less time to address it. Anyway, my questions are thus: I know that by plugging the ATO into the Apex, all I will get is on/off controllability. When the Apex outlet is "on" (as in, all the time except during feed mode), will the ATO still function as designed- sensing water levels, turning on pump when necessary, etc? Plugging it into the EB8 only affects whether or not it's receiving power, correct?

Also, when trying to configure the outlet in Apex Fusion, there are drop-down menus for a low switch, high switch, and defer time. Do I just ignore those, or do I have to do something with them? I just want to add some programming to shut it off for feed modes. As such, do I have the programming correct?

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
If FeedC 000 Then OFF
Defer 030:00 Then ON

I don't have my return pump hooked to the Apex yet- it's a Jebao DCT8000, and I did buy an adapter module but haven't had time to tinker with it and get it all hooked up. Once I do, I'll add a line of code to turn off the ATO if the return pump is off.

Oh, and hey, any ideas on how to change the length of the feed modes if you don't yet have your return pump attached? It looks like feed modes are programmed from the outlet configuration of the return.

Thanks everybody!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the Tunze ATO will work just fine plugged into the EB8. You will just have simple off and on.

Forget the wizard setup, and just use the advanced tab. Just set the outlet to "always" then use the Advanced tab to program as follow:

Fallback on
Set on
If feeda 000 then off
if feedb 000 then off
if feedc 000 then off

The defer statement in my opinion is not needed for this application. I use this and have one issue with it. With the tunze ATO every time you power cycle the unit, it primes the pump dumping about a cup of water in.Depending on your setup this could become an issue, just so you know.

Now as far as changing the feed cycles, depending in which version of the apex you have(i'm not sure about the newer version as I have never used one), you would need to go to the classic dashboard(192.168.0.whatever it's IP is), and in the Configuration tab, under Misc. you will find the option to change the length of time for each feed mode. Only way to change them that I am aware of. If there is another way, please someone correct me.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the Tunze ATO will work just fine plugged into the EB8. You will just have simple off and on.

Forget the wizard setup, and just use the advanced tab. Just set the outlet to "always" then use the Advanced tab to program as follow:

Fallback on
Set on
If feeda 000 then off
if feedb 000 then off
if feedc 000 then off

The defer statement in my opinion is not needed for this application. I use this and have one issue with it. With the tunze ATO every time you power cycle the unit, it primes the pump dumping about a cup of water in.Depending on your setup this could become an issue, just so you know.

Now as far as changing the feed cycles, depending in which version of the apex you have(i'm not sure about the newer version as I have never used one), you would need to go to the classic dashboard(192.168.0.whatever it's IP is), and in the Configuration tab, under Misc. you will find the option to change the length of time for each feed mode. Only way to change them that I am aware of. If there is another way, please someone correct me.

Thank you!

Hipertec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember, when I tried that in the part, after the feeding cycle, the return and ATO goes on at the same time. Causing the ATO alarm overfill to go on.

What program or line needs to be added to have the ATO turn on 1 minute after the return?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a delay on the feed cycle for that outlet

If FeedA 002 then off

The numbers after the feed cycle refer to time in minutes for that outlet to stay off after the feed cycle ends. I do this exact same thing when I feed my corals. I turn off my return pump so the food stays suspended and not sucked down the overflow, my programming is:
If FeedB 005 then off

This tells the apex to shut off that outlet, and keep off for an additional 5 minutes when FeedB is activated.

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this helps but I set mine as if it was a skimmer. to turn off if the return pump is off. it delays after the return pump comes back on.
The return pump stops for the feed mode which stops the skimmer and ATO followed by a delay.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this helps but I set mine as if it was a skimmer. to turn off if the return pump is off. it delays after the return pump comes back on.
The return pump stops for the feed mode which stops the skimmer and ATO followed by a delay.
Yup, that's what I wound up doing, and it works like a charm!

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use the "defer" at all? Or just the feed delay? Just curious, trying to set mine up now but the delay and defer is a bit confusing.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use the "defer" at all? Or just the feed delay? Just curious, trying to set mine up now but the delay and defer is a bit confusing.
This is how I have it programmed in Apex Fusion:

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
If FeedC 000 Then OFF
If FeedD 000 Then OFF
Defer 015:00 Then ON

This way, it turns off for 15 minutes for feed mode. My feed mode is only 10 minutes, so there's a 5min space there for all the pumps to get running, air to get purged, and water levels to stabilize before it turns back on. It works pretty well for me!

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
This is how I have it programmed in Apex Fusion:

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
If FeedC 000 Then OFF
If FeedD 000 Then OFF
Defer 015:00 Then ON

This way, it turns off for 15 minutes for feed mode. My feed mode is only 10 minutes, so there's a 5min space there for all the pumps to get running, air to get purged, and water levels to stabilize before it turns back on. It works pretty well for me!

I'm new to apex, what is the difference between the defer 15m and just setting up the outlet as a return pump and just do a 10m feed time delay?

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I'm new to apex, what is the difference between the defer 15m and just setting up the outlet as a return pump and just do a 10m feed time delay?

I'm relatively new to Apex, too, but if I understand it correctly, the "defer" that I use makes sure that all the water levels in my sump have normalized before turning the ATO back on. If you set up the outlet like a return pump with the same time set as your regular feed mode, the ATO will kick on at the same time as the return pump, before the water level in your return chamber (I'm assuming you have a sump?) drops, and the ATO sensor will scream at you for the water level being too high. I delay the start time of the ATO until after everything else has had a chance to turn back on and get to normal flow again, so that I don't have to deal with the shrieks of a thousand demons for a few minutes.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All a defer does is leaves the switch in the last state it was in before the timer starts, if the state changes after the timer, then the switch will change. This is helpful when using float valves that could possible change state with waves on the surface.

For your feed modes it's better to just use the 000(time in minutes) as your "defer". In your example where you want the ATO to remain off for 15 minutes after the feed cycle has ended:

If FeedA 015 then off

This line would leave the ATO off for 15 additional minutes after the FeedA cycle has ended. Using the 000 in a feed statement, you can have multiple things turn on at different times instead of it all turning on after 15 minutes. It's also proper coding.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back