Plumbing a 20 gallon with single overflow

Thatdude156

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all, I’ve had my tank running on a canister but switching to a sump now. I got an eshops overflow which has just a single drain. Here are my questions..

Is the Durso my only plumbing option?

Do I still install a gate valve?

What size pipe should my return and drain be?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Get rid of the prefilter sponge (prone to clogging) and replace it with a Stockman standpipe. The Stockman will greatly reduce the gurgling noise that plagues single drain HOB overflow set ups.

2) In a single drain set up, NEVER use a valve to restrict flow in any way. Run it wide open. This will help reduce chances of anything getting caught in the restriction and causing a potential flood.

3) 3/4” inches would work well. If using the U-tube return pipe linked to below, be sure to drill a hole near the surface but just below the waterline, about 1/2 an inch, for a siphon break so if you kill or lose power to the return pump, you will back siphon less water back to sump, again avoiding a potential flood situation.

Here is a good thread on HOB overflows with a lot of tips to successfully run an HOB overflow. If planned and executed properly, an HOB overflow should serve you well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thatdude156

Thatdude156

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Get rid of the prefilter sponge (prone to clogging) and replace it with a Stockman standpipe. The Stockman will greatly reduce the gurgling noise that plagues single drain HOB overflow set ups.

2) In a single drain set up, NEVER use a valve to restrict flow in any way. Run it wide open. This will help reduce chances of anything getting caught in the restriction and causing a potential flood.

3) 3/4” inches would work well. If using the U-tube return pipe linked to below, be sure to drill a hole near the surface but just below the waterline, about 1/2 an inch, for a siphon break so if you kill or lose power to the return pump, you will back siphon less water back to sump, again avoiding a potential flood situation.

Here is a good thread on HOB overflows with a lot of tips to successfully run an HOB overflow. If planned and executed properly, an HOB overflow should serve you well.

Thanks. So can I still use a check valve for the return line? If so should it just be right above the pump?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can if you want to. Though I’m not a big fan of relying on a mechanical fail safe. The drilled hole near the surface or building your own up and over return with PVC and locline where the outlet nozzle is near the surface will be the safest route, no check valve necessary IMO.

OP
OP
Thatdude156

Thatdude156

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can if you want to. Though I’m not a big fan of relying on a mechanical fail safe. The drilled hole near the surface or building your own up and over return with PVC and locline where the outlet nozzle is near the surface will be the safest route, no check valve necessary IMO.
Okay. That U-tube you linked isn’t clickable for me. I’m also wondering about one more thing..

The bulkhead has threads but I’ve seen people glue into it instead.. why is this? Seems that just threading it would be better for maintenance.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those exterior threads are for the exterior bulkhead locking nut... nothing else. The bulkhead itself is most likely a 1” female slip fitting.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back