Plumbing a Mag 3 for Water change

  • Thread starter Thread starter ecam
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ecam

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2012
Messages
499
Reaction score
179
Location
08857
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare mag3 that i want to use for a water change. My plan is run the mag 3 "inline". Essentially, I will use the my python water changing hose into the inlet side (1/2 MPT to 5/8 barb) and then I will use a hose on the outlet side (1/2 FPT to 3/4 barb). I will use the inlet side to remove the water and pump into my faucet\toilet. Then i will flip the hoses and go from water source to tank.

Here is the problem. When I connect the hose to the inlet the pump doesn't seem to be strong enough to create the siphon and start the flow.

Does anyone have any tips to make this work
 
I actually use a mag3 for water changes too, but I only use it to put the new water in so I never had it set up like you. Basically your saying that your not submerging the pump itself into the water sources but using a hose on each side of the pump? And you can't get suction? Am I understanding that right.
 
If you're not getting syphoning action goin on, then maybe it more of the relation of the water level and where the pump sits. Not sure though, I never tried using it like that.
 
thanks for the info. I was just informed that the problem is that the pump is not self priming and must be "flooded" with water prior to starting
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new