Plumbing advice for a dual overflow 125

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E981CBA3-4DA4-49F3-AABF-2FCAE7DBEC51.png
I have ran my 36 gallon HOB Filter reef tank successfully for past year, I have slowly over that time watched marketplace and I traded for a 125 gallon reef ready tank w dual overflows that are placed evenly in middle back glass pane each third of the tank . Not corner flows . I am interested in plumbing my system for function first and quietest operation. I will use many connections like I’ve seen on YouTube to make maintenance doable for removing pipe etc.
I haven’t checked but thinking I could buy the Aqueon accessories kit with the included plumbing ? Shld I do that and then customize it some by adding ball valves or such for slowing the draining water as well as return pump ?
Please leave an opinion even if I don’t see the way you do it will still be in mind when I make a decision and May tweak the end result you never know .
Thx
Joe

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5D7E8181-0FF5-4BC2-977B-03FAC4885D24.png
$72 per side for a return pipe and dual nozzles . Also come with drain pipe with adjustable emergency intake at top and lower in overflow box level drain intake there.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tank, and in terms of plumbing it’s limited to a Durso style overflow because there are only two pre drilled holes on each side. One for the drain and one for the return lines. Im also using the plumbing kits, as it just made things easier for me as a newbie. I’m not sure if it’s the best design or the quietest, but so far so good!

If anyone knows how to make a durso quiet, I’d like to know. It might be that my return pump flow is too high.

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tank, and in terms of plumbing it’s limited to a Durso style overflow because there are only two pre drilled holes on each side. One for the drain and one for the return lines. Im also using the plumbing kits, as it just made things easier for me as a newbie. I’m not sure if it’s the best design or the quietest, but so far so good!

If anyone knows how to make a durso quiet, I’d like to know. It might be that my return pump flow is too high.
Is this what your overflows look like ?
5D6EC27C-8BD9-4A74-8341-9F4DE8BA7A6A.jpeg
5D6EC27C-8BD9-4A74-8341-9F4DE8BA7A6A.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if my tank is a 125 gallon and my return pump is rated up to 1350 gph. Some websites suggest at least 5x to 10x the tank's total water volume per hour
Technically just answered my own question. I can turn pump power down as well as plan on having a ball valve to control return flow to both returns

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you will NOT get 1350 gph because of head pressure in the plumbing.
That figure is @ -0- head. The only way with a Durso is a valve to adjust the flow up to the tank so it runs quiet.
I would suggest a Gate Valve to do this.
You can switch to a Herbie Drain system & run as fast as plumbing will allow with returns over the back.

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First you will NOT get 1350 gph because of head pressure in the plumbing.
That figure is @ -0- head. The only way with a Durso is a valve to adjust the flow up to the tank so it runs quiet.
I would suggest a Gate Valve to do this.
You can switch to a Herbie Drain system & run as fast as plumbing will allow with returns over the back.
Yea I’m starting to lean more to returns over the back of tank with herbie style.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me crazy. But could you plumb both sides differently? So on one side you could construct a Herbie return and on the other use both pipes for returns into locline return jets?

I suppose you could also do a bean animal and put the emergency overflow on the same side as the return.
Then use powerheads to really focus on circulation within the tank.

@Snoopy 67 @Addicted2Reef’n

Last edited:

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That aqueon setup is going to be quite the water fall if the emergency is on top and it normally drains at that bottom elbow. You could get complete durso standpipes, with strainers, for about $50 a side. I run these on my 120 with two Cor 20 returns and my sump fan is louder than they are.

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That aqueon setup is going to be quite the water fall if the emergency is on top and it normally drains at that bottom elbow. You could get complete durso standpipes, with strainers, for about $50 a side. I run these on my 120 with two Cor 20 returns and my sump fan is louder than they are.
I’m not sure I follow what you mean by a waterfall , do you mean that the water wld drain faster and suck out overflow box faster ? Or if I ran return to same box each side and set return valve to a good match for drains ?
Yea I wld rather spend the money elsewhere on the pipes up top. To me $75 is kinda high for just two pipes .
Any idea where you saw that Durso kit ?
Also I’m a buyer and love the gadgets and **** but my wife ain’t fkn around on me spending a ton of money on this hobby and I’ve done pretty good so far - but always go for the function first and maintain my equipment .

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I follow what you mean by a waterfall , do you mean that the water wld drain faster and suck out overflow box faster ? Or if I ran return to same box each side and set return valve to a good match for drains ?
Yea I wld rather spend the money elsewhere on the pipes up top. To me $75 is kinda high for just two pipes .
Any idea where you saw that Durso kit ?
Also I’m a buyer and love the gadgets and **** but my wife ain’t fkn around on me spending a ton of money on this hobby and I’ve done pretty good so far - but always go for the function first and maintain my equipment .
You want the water level in those overflow boxes 1-2 inches beliw the weirs. Otherwise it will dound like a sloshing waterfall. You can order the pipes from Richard’s site.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back