Dual overflow plumbing questions.

Piranha76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6' 125 gallon w/dual corner overflows. Each overflow has a 1" and 3/4" pipe. I was thinking of Bean Animal. Left side siphon and durso, right side emergency and return. Should the syphon be 3/4" or 1", should the return be 3/4" or 1"?

Or

Left syphon and emergency and right return and durso?

The tank is full with water and is established over 8 years. I am not drilling and I do not have room to bring my return over the wall.

By the way I soft plumbed and it all began leaking after 5 years. My whole back of my stand is crystalized white.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 1" full sython as it will take most of the flow and a 3/4" durso on one side and the other 1" emergency and 3/4 return. this way your return opposite ends of the tank and not recycling "clean" water and when tuning the drains they are next to each other

OP
OP
Piranha76

Piranha76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef club is advising me to keep it two returns and two durso and that bean animal would never work with two over flows. But it's so dang loud.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 returns as in 2 pumps or one pump split outlets... if 2 pumps there is that added redundancy but these DC pump are reliable and I keep a smaller spare on hand in case anyways. If one pump with split returns I personally see no point and would rather have a quieter system..like alot of things in this hobby there are may ways to do things and neither is wrong or right alot of the times just different

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef club is advising me to keep it two returns and two durso and that bean animal would never work with two over flows. But it's so dang loud.
I am just about to start a 120 build and i was thinking about getting the reef ready setup but historically i have always drilled tanks and setup external boxes with bean animals for this exact reason. After reading this I think im just going to get the 120 fresh water tank and drill for the external overflow again.

OP
OP
Piranha76

Piranha76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just about to start a 120 build and i was thinking about getting the reef ready setup but historically i have always drilled tanks and setup external boxes with bean animals for this exact reason. After reading this I think im just going to get the 120 fresh water tank and drill for the external overflow again.
If I was started by from scratch thats what I would do with a shadow overflow.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did a bean animal hybrid thing on my 180. It was a nightmare trying to get it to equalize. I ended up doing 2 durso styles. 2 full syphons, 2 emergencies. It was the only way it worked for me but you have to deal with 4 pipes.

When I was moving my tank to get new carpet, I ended filling the holes and drilling for a modular marine overflow.

RBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also just starting, I got a 6' 125G, running dual HOB overflows with 2-1" outlets per box. I plumbed both 1" lines into a single 1 1/4". I wanted my sump/refugium to run slow, so I wanted to run a 800gph return pump at around 60 % 1" splits into 2- 3/4" loc-line

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do a herbie overflow in each box then run your return over the back of the tank. There is a detailed video on you tube that shows this method.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back