Plumbing basement filtration room with flex pvc

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thinking of using some ultraflex pvc pipe to run my three drains and one return line on a new build. Anyone have any pictures of their plumbing setup with flex pvc? Trying to envision some neat/clean wall mounting options vs rigid pvc pipe and a bunch of fittings.
Ultra-Flex-White-2T.jpg

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff is kind of tough to work with. It has a memory and will want to return to its curved state. This is an aesthetic problem but also a problem with shortening that puts strain on connections. If you take a look at where it is used in pools and spas, it is typically not straight but rather installed with some slack and its natural curve.

Sorry - I don't have any good photos of setups that you are looking for.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree w/ last comment . It is pretty firm . I have incorporated it w/ hard pvc to eliminate bends and 90’s but as stand alone you will have to pipe clamp it ..
I don’t have pics as this was 15-20 years back

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it for the exact config as you are planning. Didn’t think it was difficult to work with. I like the fact that it gives you softer turns vs hard PVC. Especially important when running from a basement to first floor. A hair dryer is helpful in getting it to bend the way you want it. Think I have a few pics. Let me dig them up.

OP
OP
Ironwill723

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I am very familiar with the original spaflex. Not as flexible as you would think. I was hoping someone had tried the new Hydromaxx "ultra" spa flex. Supposedly it is way easier to work with. I believe @ca1ore has used it before.

Last edited:

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of sump with it. I got mine from Amazon. Black 1 1/4” Hydromaxx.

Attachments

• IMG_0195.png
    IMG_0195.png
    388.5 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
Ironwill723

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pic of sump with it. I got mine from Amazon. Black 1 1/4” Hydromaxx.
Awesome thanks. Same brand I was looking at but in white. How did you like it for gluing up. Did it fit the pvc fittings snug? Some of the offbrand (chinese) ones are loose in the fittings.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use heavy body cement, Red Hot Blue or Rain-n-Shine cement. The plasticizers in it make it hard to create good joints.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks. Same brand I was looking at but in white. How did you like it for gluing up. Did it fit the pvc fittings snug? Some of the offbrand (chinese) ones are loose in the fittings.
Found it no different than hard pvc. Used the primer, glue on both pieces, insert/twist, hold for 30 secs, done.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found it no different than hard pvc. Used the primer, glue on both pieces, insert/twist, hold for 30 secs, done.
But it is different. The OD is not as accurate and it is much softer. I would use cleaner but not use primer on the soft side of the joint and as mentioned use the heavy body cement types that have more pvc monomers in them and less solvent.

I used to do a demonstration for club talks showing the difference in strength. Flex can often be easily pulled apart from a fitting when primer and regular pvc cement are used.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your advice makes sense. I’ve done multiple runs on multiple tanks with primer and regular glue and no issues but I am very methodical and test the joints to ensure a solid weld. Haven’t been able to pull one apart yet. And once in place, they remain fairly static.

OP
OP
Ironwill723

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've used the Oatey Medium or Heavy pvc glue without issue on the flex before but I will definitely check those other ones you mentioned.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 56 41.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 66 49.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 9.0%
Back