Plumbing/Glass Cutting

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I add a check valve to the return tube? Should I add one to the overflow tube? Using the INOUT overflow by two little fishes and the tube set made for it.

I'll be honest, I'm new to all this, but keep seeing some setups that have check valves, which seems helpful. I only have a 10-gallon sump planned, so it wouldn't be able to handle backflow down into it if the pump ever goes out. Though I do plan on drilling the overflow/return to the same specs as the INOUT sticker exactly, I'm not sure that is necessary as it seems the overflow would drop the water slightly lower than the pump unless I had it aimed downward. I also see them occasionally use one for the overflow pipe that goes into the sump because they say sometimes it can create a siphon, but the way I have mine set up in my head, it wouldn't be an issue cause the pipe would sit above the rest of the water to go through my filter sock. Plus is 1.5 inches in diameter inside.

Though I am considering adding them just in case... but they aren't the cheapest things; I have no idea what I'm doing plumbing-wise, so not sure if doing it wrong would be worse or if I'm wasting money.

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for a check valve on the overflow drain.

you can add a check valve on the return line if you feel like it will drain that much water

how big is your display that your sump is 10 gal?

OP
OP
pepper89

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for a check valve on the overflow drain.

you can add a check valve on the return line if you feel like it will drain that much water

how big is your display that your sump is 10 gal?
Oh, my sump is way oversized for my displays, lol. It's a 20-gallon long tank, but I plan on eventually upgrading it to a 29-gallon when everything grows up a bit more and using the 20-gallon for something else. I know that is a little bit big for either size and probably unneeded, but I plan on having a dragonette once things are more established, and I feel I can, so I wanted something suitable for growing and sustaining pods, maybe some brine shrimp. I figured worse came to worse, and if I didn't get a dragonette, it would increase my water volume a bit and help keep things more stable and give my clowns something to eat between feedings.

Right now, I plan on mostly just sectioning off like 4 inches off either side, one for the inflow/mechanical filtration, and the other with return with heaters and stuff. Then in the middle was going to be just a planted/decorated refugium that I wanted to be a mini statement itself. Since the way I have, it planned out, at night I can "close up" the tank and open up just the refugium to show it off nicely. And visa versa during the day.

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, my sump is way oversized for my displays, lol. It's a 20-gallon long tank, but I plan on eventually upgrading it to a 29-gallon when everything grows up a bit more and using the 20-gallon for something else. I know that is a little bit big for either size and probably unneeded, but I plan on having a dragonette once things are more established, and I feel I can, so I wanted something suitable for growing and sustaining pods, maybe some brine shrimp. I figured worse came to worse, and if I didn't get a dragonette, it would increase my water volume a bit and help keep things more stable and give my clowns something to eat between feedings.

Right now, I plan on mostly just sectioning off like 4 inches off either side, one for the inflow/mechanical filtration, and the other with return with heaters and stuff. Then in the middle was going to be just a planted/decorated refugium that I wanted to be a mini statement itself. Since the way I have, it planned out, at night I can "close up" the tank and open up just the refugium to show it off nicely. And visa versa during the day.
I would be careful putting a heater in the return area, can lead to a bad time

you can add a check valve later if you plan on upgrading the tank in the future

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No heater in return area.... no heater in overflow box.... ;)

Check valve on return line is good idea, but don't trust it too much..... ensure that there is no problem when check valve fail.... and you are good to go.

OP
OP
pepper89

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful putting a heater in the return area, can lead to a bad time

you can add a check valve later if you plan on upgrading the tank in the future
Oh okay. I am really new to this, do you recommend putting it somewhere else?

I know it's supposed to be submerged, so I was hoping to secure it along the bottom and put some bio-media under the pump. I was hoping that would be enough to keep it underwater. Otherwise, I know the inflow would probably stay full better, or the refugium. I would like to keep it out of the display though.

OP
OP
pepper89

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No heater in return area.... no heater in overflow box.... ;)

Check valve on return line is good idea, but don't trust it too much..... ensure that there is no problem when check valve fail.... and you are good to go.
ok that does make sense, cause they are more likely to run dry if anywhere else is.

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay. I am really new to this, do you recommend putting it somewhere else?

I know it's supposed to be submerged, so I was hoping to secure it along the bottom and put some bio-media under the pump. I was hoping that would be enough to keep it underwater. Otherwise, I know the inflow would probably stay full better, or the refugium. I would like to keep it out of the display though.
In either of the other two areas of your plans for the sump is safe as they would remain submerged no matter the situation

OP
OP
pepper89

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a check valve on my return line and I have been just fine.
Thanks, I will keep this in mind. I think I will initially set it up without one and keep the return port hole a little higher than the overflow, just in case.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back