Plumbing help/ideas sump

Newbie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Triton Trigger 44. It has three holes for the main drain. I was trying to figure out how I could set it up to where when my over flow comes down to the sump and changing it to one simple tub going into one section with one sock, how could I split the tubing into theee and ha e it go through 3 separate socks.I’ll attach pic. Again as you can see I have one white tube coming down from the tank to one hole in sump. However I have three (in total) holes to use.
256ADF8E-F311-4406-B64B-36CA26684275.jpeg

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming your goal is reduce how frequently you have to service the filter sock? In other words, with 100% of the flow going through one sock, it gets dirty fast so you are hoping to spread the water flow across three socks so you don't have to service the tank as often?

Just want to make sure you don't create a new problem in trying to solve your original problem ... my thinking here is that in spreading the load across three socks to reduce the service interval, you are actually going to be leaving the detritus collected by the socks in contact with the water for longer, thus giving them more change to break down, thus increasing nitrates in your system. Given that you are using the Triton method correctly (which I assume because of your choice of this particular sump) then maybe this isn't a problem for you at all. Again, just making sure this is on your radar.

Having said all that ...

The Trigger Systems' Triton 44 sump should already come with filter sock holder underneath each of the drain inputs ... so adding socks under each drain should be a very simple matter.

The only trick, therefore, is splitting your single drain line across the three drain inputs in such a way that you get approximately equal flow across all three socks. To do that, I would suggest building a manifold out of PVC piping and gluing it to the input drains. This won't guarantee equal flow across all three but will come closest.

To do this, use a 90 degree elbow on each of the outermost input drains, with the elbows facing toward the center ... then a T-fitting to the center ... and another T-fitting between the first and second input drains with the input facing upwards. All fittings should be 1" and plumbed together with 1" PVC pipe. Then connect the drain line to the inlet of the T-fitting between the first and second input drains.

Like this (green = water flow, red = PVC pipe, grey = PVC fittings, blue = sump input drain)
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 10.36.23 AM.png

You are probably going to discover that there isn't enough horizontal spacing between the three input drains to get 1" fittings to physically fit ... therefore you will have to get a little more creative in raising the horizontal manifold up to give you the space and then running lines down from it to your input drains.

Make sense?

Back