Plumbing in a UV

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I finally bought a UV, now comes the part of plumbing it in. I’d like to use hard pipes as much as possible but I have little to no experience with this (my tank came with all the plumbing). So is there a special type of plastic to get? Where is the best place to get the pipes?
The UV came with barbed fittings, so does that mean I need to put a plastic hose on it? Or is there a converter?
I have a separate pump that will be dedicated to the UV, then return to the DT.
Here’s a pic of the location I want to install it.
Thanks for the help!

image.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safest way to plumb might be to get a submersible pump that comes with an outlet designed to handle the same sized flex pipe. Pump from the sump to the UV and attach a short section from the uv back to the sump (into the next chamber depending on flow(s) in the sump/ uv. Also makes service easy if the UV is a separate function.

OP
OP
Auqaman

Auqaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safest way to plumb might be to get a submersible pump that comes with an outlet designed to handle the same sized flex pipe. Pump from the sump to the UV and attach a short section from the uv back to the sump (into the next chamber depending on flow(s) in the sump/ uv. Also makes service easy if the UV is a separate function.
That’s definitely plan B. I bought the same pump for the UV that is also the return pump (for redundancy). I’d draw the water from the return chamber, then return it to the return chamber in the sump.
Plan A is to return it to the DT. I was thinking of 2, 90 degree fittings. I would hang off the back (of the DT) and clamp it in some how to secure it.
Just wondering if there’s a “one stop shop” where I can purchase everything.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s definitely plan B. I bought the same pump for the UV that is also the return pump (for redundancy). I’d draw the water from the return chamber, then return it to the return chamber in the sump.
Plan A is to return it to the DT. I was thinking of 2, 90 degree fittings. I would hang off the back (of the DT) and clamp it in some how to secure it.
Just wondering if there’s a “one stop shop” where I can purchase everything.

I'm not familiar with stores that are available to you Canada? BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) says they will ship, but you have to use a US Mail forwarding scheme. I usually just go to a local gardening or hardware store for plumbing fittings.

The return pump through the UV set-up is fine as long as the actual pump flow output and UV flow requirements match up.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%

Back