Plumbing in Vectra M2

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up Plumbing on my 4x2x2 120 and historically i have always used 3/4 return lines but the vectra m2 has a 1" return.

The tank is only going to have 1 return and a Prodigy L overflow (bean animal). Do i just run a 1" return line ? or 1" silicone hose from pump to 3/4 in hard pipe like usual ? i dont wanna put back pressure on the pump. I think the prodigy L is rated for like 900 GPH so i think this should be good to go

From what im reading alot of people are running 1 inch all the way up to a T then branching to 2x 3/4s and doing 2 return lines

hmmm

Last edited:

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the 'make your return plumbing as efficient as possible' camp. There are so many benefits to efficient return plumbing including lower power consumption, longer pump life, better flow, less heat, etc.

Run the 1" for as long as you possibly can, utilize 45s instead of 90s where possible.

What size bulkhead do you have for the return? If it's a 3/4" bulkhead, I'd literally run 1" right to the bulkhead and reduce there. Also watch for reductions on the loc-line or whatever you're using on the tank side.

With a single return and normal head pressure (~4 ft) , I don't think you'll get anywhere near 900gph, even with efficient return plumbing.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
On my tank I ran 1" all the way up to the 3/4" bulkhead in the tank. I just used 1' to 3/4" reducing bushing.
The reduction is the same as head pressure.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the 'make your return plumbing as efficient as possible' camp. There are so many benefits to efficient return plumbing including lower power consumption, longer pump life, better flow, less heat, etc.

Run the 1" for as long as you possibly can, utilize 45s instead of 90s where possible.

What size bulkhead do you have for the return? If it's a 3/4" bulkhead, I'd literally run 1" right to the bulkhead and reduce there. Also watch for reductions on the loc-line or whatever you're using on the tank side.

With a single return and normal head pressure (~4 ft) , I don't think you'll get anywhere near 900gph, even with efficient return plumbing.

Yeah I can easily run it like this, I'll just drill the overflow on the far right side of the tank and then come up on the opposite side with a 1" all the way to the bulkhead and reduce it down there into a 3/4 bulkhead and into the 3/4 locline. I know the M2 at full power is like rated at 2k gph but thats not counting any headpressure.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah I can easily run it like this, I'll just drill the overflow on the far right side of the tank and then come up on the opposite side with a 1" all the way to the bulkhead and reduce it down there into a 3/4 bulkhead and into the 3/4 locline. I know the M2 at full power is like rated at 2k gph but thats not counting any headpressure.
There is 1" lockline and fittings available

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back