Plumbing leak

Sean Norman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a leak from one of my bulkheads in my IM 112. You obviously learn a lot as you go through this hobby and most of the lessons are expensive...
The leak had been going slowly for awhile.. not sure how long. I had to relocate all my livestock. I set up two large home depot tubs, drilled them and installed two overflows. I put a small pump in that fed water from one to the other and then the water would flow through the bulkhead into the second tub. I used a series of baskets and placed all my filter media on one basket so the water would travel through. I placed all my bio media and live rock into the "sump" section and some live rock into the live stock section. I did add an air stone to keep the O2 levels up. I lost one fish in my move, my Foxface( of course one of my favorite fish). Other than that everyone has adjusted to the new quarters.
I emptied the tank and sump, cut out plumbing and built a rolling table and move the tank to it.
I removed the stand and had to cut out carpet and replace some drywall.
That was all replaced and I moved the stand back, tank and now have it all up and running.
I started moving all my live rock back in and will start with some bio media. I made the decision to go from sand bottom to bare bottom. I was shocked at how much filth was in the sand bed when I removed it.
I do have one wrasse and will be adding a pyrex dish in the back surrounded by rocks for him to sleep in.
While this was expensive and depressing, it was a chance for me to correct some mistakes(this is my second tank I set up- 4 years in the hobby).
I did a lot of research on BB a lot on this site, and at my LFS. I can always add sand later. The type of rock structure I like is to provide the fish with a lot of hides and variety so they can cruise around. This included a "rubble pile". That design became a repository for detritus that I could not overcome. I would like to try some SPS, so the BB and higher flow will help me towards that. I did buy a 1/8 piece of ABS plastic, cut it to size and used silicone to adhere it to the bottom and seal the edges.
All my rock went from the tank to the temporary tanks and then back into the main tank. It was transported under water in a bucket under water and right into the tank.
Tank is now fully operational, pump, PH's and heater. I am going to start testing my water today. Do any of you anticipate any new cycle?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back