plumbing my ocean motions, what would you do?

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have 4 returns.
2 at the top coming from the front of the tank.

2 at the bottom coming from the front of the tank.

would you do top and bottom from right side on the same time then top and bottom from left side.

or both top on at same time and then both bottom on same time?

or top left bottom right on same time then top right and bottom left on same time?

I am leaning towards top and bottom on one side and then the other side.

mofrags

stupid and happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would install them with quick connects and ball valves and flex pvc so you can switch them around if you want. there would be a quick connect on each end of the flex pvc then. any which way it will not fire bottom at one time and top at one time because the drum rotates. the one port drum fires two ports anyway and the two port fires 3 so having the ability to switch around helps. ps look at OM's forum lots of setup picks.

OP
OP
rocko918

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have unions for all of them to take it apart if i have to. it could fire bottom at one time, just depends on how you plumb it. Funny how i have heard people say you can't do it one way but really you can plumb it anyway you want to get the desired effect.

Looking for what way i should do the flow.

I will have to check out the om forum. thanks!

fly guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need more info to advise. I run two 8 ways myseklf and have set up another 8 way and a few 4 ways for others.....so im fairly familiar with how they work and how to accomplish what you want and what drum config you will want to go with

substrate?
what kind of corals?
what pump are you thinking and tank size??

heres my two 8 ways.....on a 225 and a 90. both powered by seqeunce hammerheads. its the sole source of flow in the 90 and on the 225 I do also run 4 tunzes.

8way-90.jpg

225plumbingback-1.jpg

fly guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hasve you already bought the pump??

i wouldnt go with a barracuda. the hammerhead will give you a lot more flow that you want on that size of a tank, can handle more head pressure so their is less loss and no matter how you plumb it....OM's will kick you a little on the head pressure thing. As well as odd as it may sound, if it matters to you hammerheads run quieter than barracudas IMO. Ive used two barracudas and a half dozen hammerheads and this was true across the board

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back