Need to update wavemaker placement with new gyre

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using 3 wave makers in my 72" tank for sometime and while they work OK, the tank is at the minimum for flow IMO.

I have 2 Jebao OW-25's on either end of the tank synced together and an additional Koralia 3G on the back right side that is aimed diagonally across the tank (turns on and off throughout the day with a smart switch). I just took a video of the weeping willow with the current setup showing I don't have quite enough. Sorry for the dirty glass haha

20240315_212537.jpg

I just got a Jebao SCP-180 for my birthday and was thinking about having it on the left side to shoot over top of the toadstool. I think I'd like to move the OW-25 from the left to the middle back wall and then have some flow from back to front.

Id like to start getting some SPS on the right side structure and some more softies around bottom left around the toadstool.

Thoughts or suggestions on flow setup?

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 3 power heads too. Added gyres later for more flow. The amount of water gyres move is surprising and combined with the ones you have will give you a very nice random flow. I started with one then added a second gyre on opposite side.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 3 power heads too. Added gyres later for more flow. The amount of water gyres move is surprising and combined with the ones you have will give you a very nice random flow. I started with one then added a second gyre on opposite side.
What are your thoughts on moving one of the OW-25s to the back of the tank? Or maybe lower back side with the gyre to circulate lower in the tank?

Maybe I'll just plug the new gyre up and be amazing at the flow like you said haha.

What kind of flow should be used with the gyre? Pulse?

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone will chime in with diff views probably. I like to make flow as random as possible so have it on different settings throughout the day.
When it comes to power head placement I think your aquascape is unique so no one will have the same recommendation. I think always ok to move power heads and see if you like how the flow is doing in it's new setup. No harm in trying

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your idea is fine.
Add another 180 on the right.
That’ll get the waters flowing.

I have same length as you. I have 4 Jebaos 180, 2 on each side, one running top horizontal and the other vertical, like a cross….plus like you….2 ow25 to the rear.

I do slow them all down during lights out and alternating running every two hours.

Tons of movement and random flows.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your idea is fine.
Add another 180 on the right.
That’ll get the waters flowing.

I have same length as you. I have 4 Jebaos 180, 2 on each side, one running top horizontal and the other vertical, like a cross….plus like you….2 ow25 to the rear.

I do slow them all down during lights out and alternating running every two hours.

Tons of movement and random flows.
First of, holy flow batman!

Do you have your gyres in wave, sine, or random? Knowing you have 4 it'll be totally different than what I've got, but I'm thinking about trying sine to get constant flow with changing intensity across the tank.

My 2 OW-25s are in shift to flow with each other and I'll probably set the back wall to random and the one staying in the right into a sine mode as well.

I just changed out my lighting so I'm thinking I'll let the tank "settle" for about a month before getting installing and messing with flow changes.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone will chime in with diff views probably. I like to make flow as random as possible so have it on different settings throughout the day.
When it comes to power head placement I think your aquascape is unique so no one will have the same recommendation. I think always ok to move power heads and see if you like how the flow is doing in it's new setup. No harm in trying
I'm fully expecting (and welcoming) different views!

I plan to ultimately have some SPS on the structure to the right so I was thinking having the gyre on the left would push water over the leather and then over the rock scape on the right.

I get nervous trying new things in the tank, but I see your point with quickly moving pumps and settings to see how things behave. At least with flow you can get immediate feedback when softies are in the tank.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of, holy flow batman!

Do you have your gyres in wave, sine, or random? Knowing you have 4 it'll be totally different than what I've got, but I'm thinking about trying sine to get constant flow with changing intensity across the tank.

My 2 OW-25s are in shift to flow with each other and I'll probably set the back wall to random and the one staying in the right into a sine mode as well.

I just changed out my lighting so I'm thinking I'll let the tank "settle" for about a month before getting installing and messing with flow changes.
Both sets are on random however each set is also on a timer on 1/2 hour off 2 hours and staggered so none of the three are on at the same time. Sometimes none run.

Horizontal gyres push a huge ripple across the top, my acros love this hit.

The vertical gyres can push water just like a traditional Wavemaker but top and can be pointed differently.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didint realize you could sync Jebao"s. How do you do that? Is it just by setting up the master and slave buttons?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back