Plumbing ? returns siphon

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning for the plumbing in my 300g, it is a peninsula tank with the overflow having the return lines a couple inches below the weir. The sump is 130g and I plan on having it handle any siphon back but it seems like it will be considerable at such a depth.

I however would prefer to break this siphon and avoid the excess backflow. Please give me your thoughts on this idea, the tank has a full canopy so everything can be hidden above. Instead of using the normal return lines (3/4) inside the overflow, use them as emergency drains yes I know this would be smaller than the 1 inch drains, but it will already be a bean animal setup with a dedicated 1 inch emergency. Run the return pump line up the dry chamber to a manifold at the top, then feeding back down to the standard returns, but also have a check valve T'd into the manifold but backwards so the normal water pressure slams it closed but will open and suck air breaking the siphon as soon as it started to back flow.

The reason I don't want to loop up some linelock and drill a small anti-siphon in the underside is I am using VCA nozzles and don't want to loose any pressure going to them.

Am I missing anything here? I saw this method years back and want to be sure I am remembering it correctly. It would also give me the option to add an oceans motion above since I could keep the plumbing going into it as a 1.5 inch if I use the dry chamber.

Thanks for any thoughts criticism or ideas.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into using a reversed check valve
It closes when running, and opens to draw air when the return is powered down
Installing it at the highest point IMO would be best

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back