300g the old way ~ almost

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am jumping back into having a lil larger tank. I came back to the hobby a couple years ago with an IM-40. My previous system had been 12 years or so prior and was a 1000+g. Anyhow this is going to be done without all the new cool stuff and fancy sumps. It will be an 8' long 300g with a plain 120 under it with home made dividers for a -sump. This will be my first time stepping away from MH, I have it over my IM-40 right now. I think I will try an DIY up some lights, but this will be an SPS tank so i'll have to get it right.

Pics will follow once the tank arrives.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you don’t want radiums over that new setup? How abot some t5’s. There are some good hybrid fixtures, and you could do a t5/LED combo. I'm Still running ati six bulb.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you don’t want radiums over that new setup? How abot some t5’s. There are some good hybrid fixtures, and you could do a t5/LED combo. I'm Still running ati six bulb.
T-5's have been on the radar, I am thinking a blend with the LED's. My goto would 400w MH X 4, but I feel LED is going to be more efficient on the power bill.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue. I have only met a few guys around here. I’ve only been sps for three years. I had some success 15 years ago, but took them out as I was remodeling and the dust was killing them. So I have only met a few people at the Lansing swap and a couple other Swaps.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanded out two sides of the tank and removed the scratches. What was the back is now the front. Also rebuilt the sump, moving some baffles etc.
132466588_4328079837237503_1448147458861932974_o.jpg

clean.JPG

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanded out two sides of the tank and removed the scratches. What was the back is now the front. Also rebuilt the sump, moving some baffles etc.
132466588_4328079837237503_1448147458861932974_o.jpg

clean.JPG
I love the pallet of salt in the picture!
And appreciate the work it takes to get a tank all cleaned up and rebuilt, I am excited to watch your progress.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next project it to wire dedicated electrical and generator changeover for the life support. Also have to run ATO, and water change lines in the wall. I prefer to keep the water mess in the basement. I'll most likely still drain and vac the sand to a brute on wheels on the main floor so I can keep tract of what has come out volume wise.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good. Look at the ro saver 150 gallon upgrade kit. It uses two 75 gal ro membranes and saves a ton of waste water. Bulk Reef Supply sell it.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job bringing back that 300! Setup looks really good. If your on a budget I would go with t5s hybrid is a better option depends which led you get. Nice im40 by the way.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job bringing back that 300! Setup looks really good. If your on a budget I would go with t5s hybrid is a better option depends which led you get. Nice im40 by the way.
I really like t5's and may, right now I was leaning towards the reefbreaders v2. Alot of my SPS come from battlecorals and I believe they use them and there pretty inexpensive comparatively esp for a 8' long tanks.

And it continues to fill, we just dipped into single digit temps and the RO has really slowed. ugh. Added the sand today to help displace some water. The dry rock arrives this weekend and we will see what i can glue together and still fit in the 9X20 openings.

Hopefully still be able to test the plumbing this weekend need about 110g more water for tank and sump is my best guess.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it’s Dino’s? Usually all sps would be dead fast. The 40 looks great.
It would be great if it wasn't, Right now it is mostly hair algae mixed with cyno. Past though everything was covered in slime and bubbles that wasn't living. I thought dinos maybe not. I would feel alot better moving coral and stuff to the new tank if it wasn't. I had a terrible time trying to take a pic under the microscope but they looked like it to me. I could be wrong though.

din.JPG

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the electrical is done and wired to the generator changeover.

The ATO lines control and water are run thru the wall. I decided for time being i'll drag the hoses on retractable wheel up the stairs for water changes (this will most likely change in the future, but with my plan to vac the sand and this way if the waste is in a temp container upstairs I will know what i have pulled out and have ready to replace. Just using some Brutes for storage for now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back