300g the old way ~ almost

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like t5's and may, right now I was leaning towards the reefbreaders v2. Alot of my SPS come from battlecorals and I believe they use them and there pretty inexpensive comparatively esp for a 8' long tanks.

And it continues to fill, we just dipped into single digit temps and the RO has really slowed. ugh. Added the sand today to help displace some water. The dry rock arrives this weekend and we will see what i can glue together and still fit in the 9X20 openings.

Hopefully still be able to test the plumbing this weekend need about 110g more water for tank and sump is my best guess.
Nice! Mostly my sps is from battlecorals too lol. Well good luck happy reefing!

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent the last couple days chisel rock, and glue. Also drilled and pinned some things. Hard to make one cool structure with the small openings in the tanks top beinhg acrylic. Had a terrible time, many pieces would fall apart or not fit. Iyt is growing on me but my frag rack looks out of place with the shelf structure compared to the rest. Stirred up a bunch of sand getting the rocks to true bottom. One part is still just a pile of rock by design to easily move over some existing coral. I'll post pics tomorrow or the next day when the sand storm clears.

Also hooked up the Tunze ATO, on max 12V the little pump is fine at 10' head pressure. Tops of with no time issues or anything. So happy to have the RO auto fill the container in the basement and the top off now is all hands off. So tired of filling the 5g jug for my other tank every week.

A little bad news but glad it happened now, was using a american DJ light switch for some pumps and heater control. Supposedly any outlet could handle 10A, but I melted down one (switch) with a little under 10A 1200W heater controller at 125V. The tank was down 12 degrees by the time I noticed. Glad it happened during setup and test and not once running with life.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just been hangout the last few days waiting for this tank to cycle. Also managed to drop a flash light down the overflow during some maintenance so atleast it wedged and didnt go under water, but I had to pull and emergency drain bulk head to fit my arm in to get it.
fl.JPG

Messed with scape some more, kinda a pain with small openings at the top being acrylic.

Yep spending alot more time cleaning up and getting my old tank correct before transferring rock and corals.

I am a want in now person and this patients thing is killing me, but I do know, from experience not to rush.

Battle Corals is growing me out some frags now, so hopefully they will be nicely encrusted in a couple few months.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some poor pics of the the scape but I am going lightless for the first couple months.
scape5.jpeg

scape4.jpeg

scape 3.jpeg

scape2.jpeg

scape.jpeg

I think I will order up another 20#'s of rock to smash up and glue together for some more overhangs to add more coral when the time comes. I'll decide after I move over the other tanks contents.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank finished its cycle, I moved my existing corals and rock over 10 days ago. The corals have all shown growth so far (regrowing over fragged areas), I took frags off them all in case of an epic failure and kept them back in the old tank. There are a couple fish in the system. Starting weekly WC this weekend. So time will tell most would say I rushed this, if so I know how to deal with issues, been there in the past.

I have mixed feelings on LED lighting just put in a couple reefbreeders, time will tell if they stay or if I go back to MH. Pictures were so much easier under halide. Hopefully I'll get some decent pics to post this weekend as well.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job bringing that tank back to life! I’ve also done that with a big acrylic tank years ago, I feel your pain.

About the heater/temp, I recommend grabbing the Hydros computer. It’s not that expensive and the peace of mind is worth it!

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job bringing that tank back to life! I’ve also done that with a big acrylic tank years ago, I feel your pain.

About the heater/temp, I recommend grabbing the Hydros computer. It’s not that expensive and the peace of mind is worth it!
I have swapped to a reef-pi build using robo-tank this time as I was in a hurry and it is oh so clean, I kept the inkbird with a single 600w and the reef-pi controlling the other 600W. Temp is rock steady now to .125 degrees. The inkbird was large swings imo.

Shannon_Hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! Nice tank! Great to see someone nearby. I’m just down in Holland. I’ve only been here a couple of years and don’t know any reefers around this area. I was in Houston then SoCal for many years where there were many. Have to check that beast out one of these days :)

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! Nice tank! Great to see someone nearby. I’m just down in Holland. I’ve only been here a couple of years and don’t know any reefers around this area. I was in Houston then SoCal for many years where there were many. Have to check that beast out one of these days :)

There used to be a really cool shop in downtown Zeeland that a police officer owned, think it is gone now. I was out of the hobby about a decade, got back in with a 40g AIO a couple years back and this was the next step. So I do not know a whole lot of people right now but quickly meeting some new folk.

This tank cleaned up OK, but shows crazing at certain angles, but the price was right so I'll deal with it till the next upgrade.

There used to be a grand rapids club, but that has been long gone.

OP
OP
speedstar

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a couple more frags this weekend and a colony of pinky the bear, also took PAR reading at all coral locations and potential locations. Wow the reef breeders being economical sure put out some light and pretty even, even in a 30 deep tank. I'll post pics of my par measurements later, not sure they will make sense to anyone but me, but i want them here in case my notebook gets lost.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back