Plumbing SK5000 Filter Roller

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Just working out plumbing for the main drain off of the gate valve into my Clarisea filter roller.

On the Cade 1800, it appears to have a 40mm drain pipe the inlet elbow for the Clarisea is 32mm so I'll be creating a reduction. This shouldn't be a problem should it?
I mean the gate valve is going to be used to create a restriction anyway so I figure it should be fine ?

The way I was considering doing this was;

From drain pipe past the gate valve, add 40 to 32mm reducer followed by a short 32mm piece of pipe to attach a flex hose directly onto, then onto a 32mm pipe which is plugged into the clarisea elbow.

There may be some more 32mm pipe/elbows included if I need to for accessibility etc. but that's the general gist of it.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are proposing will work just fine, ran it the same way on a 1200 with a 3000 roller with no issues :relieved-face: Video attached.

Attachments

• 3362048-0d7d1797f04d4ecdd3dc1daa58164104.mov
    30.7 MB
OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are proposing will work just fine, ran it the same way on a 1200 with a 3000 roller with no issues :relieved-face: Video attached.
Brilliant thanks for the reassurance !
I ended up just biting the bullet and doing it this evening anyway. Possibly need to get some hose clamps because I don't have the right size otherwise I think it should be good to go tomorrow once the glue has had time to cure.

Thank you again

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant thanks for the reassurance !
I ended up just biting the bullet and doing it this evening anyway. Possibly need to get some hose clamps because I don't have the right size otherwise I think it should be good to go tomorrow once the glue has had time to cure.

Thank you again
Let us know how you get on! I ran for a good year like this, although I just removed the roller to try out full Triton with no roller, sock or any other mechanical filtration

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how you get on! I ran for a good year like this, although I just removed the roller to try out full Triton with no roller, sock or any other mechanical filtration
Well all in the system now.. not sure if I may trim back the pipe to the roller though. Don't know how I feel with the half loop of the flexi hose and whether it may cause any issues or if I'm just over thinking it haha
20231214_064259.jpg

20231214_064306.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't have any issues with that look I reckon, you'll have sufficient head pressure to keep it clear! Trim it if you want, may looks even more neat..

Looks awesome mate, well done! :cool:

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't have any issues with that look I reckon, you'll have sufficient head pressure to keep it clear! Trim it if you want, may looks even more neat..

Looks awesome mate, well done!
Appreciate the feedback & help mate. I'm probably going to attempt to leave as is for now. Will monitor how it operates and if there's issues I'll make the adjustments and shorten the pipe to hopefully alleviate it if need be.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the feedback & help mate. I'm probably going to attempt to leave as is for now. Will monitor how it operates and if there's issues I'll make the adjustments and shorten the pipe to hopefully alleviate it if need be.
This is what I have now; no roller, no sock - just a big fuge (... and now two skimmers!)

Attachments

• PXL_20231125_115204212.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231125_115204212.MP.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 17

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool, how are you finding it so far without filter rollers/socks?
So far so good, only been running like this for two months.. Phosphate is sitting at about 0.2-0.5 (Hanna).

I am gonna install the Reef Factory smart tester tomorrow to test phosphate more regularly to see where I'm at. Have a wee dosing pump coming as well to slow drip Phosphat-e should it be required.

So far though, seems the fuge is up to the task :star-struck:

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Thinking about a Clarisea for my new Cade 1800 S2. Dark Reefer, everything running smoothly with your plumbing? Read your post and saw the pics. So I need a 40 to 32 mm reducer, then the piping/flex as you describe? Just confirming this worked and you like.

CasperOe, for whatever reason I couldn’t see your video, your plumbing solution a bit different?

Russell

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Thinking about a Clarisea for my new Cade 1800 S2. Dark Reefer, everything running smoothly with your plumbing? Read your post and saw the pics. So I need a 40 to 32 mm reducer, then the piping/flex as you describe? Just confirming this worked and you like.

CasperOe, for whatever reason I couldn’t see your video, your plumbing solution a bit different?

Russell
Pretty sure that was it. Plumbing wise it has been fine.

I'm actually having issues with my roller atm. Supposedly their quality isn't what it used to be and a bunch of these come back with issues so I'm told... (lfs said something like one in five)
My controller started malfunctioning within 2 or 3 weeks of operation. After a month it died completely.
Waiting ona replacement now but I half suspect the motor is screwy but they wont replace that until we try it with new controller..

Great roller when its working, pulls a tonne of gunk but I'm not exactly thrilled with the issues I've been having considering the cost of the unit..

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure that was it. Plumbing wise it has been fine.

I'm actually having issues with my roller atm. Supposedly their quality isn't what it used to be and a bunch of these come back with issues so I'm told... (lfs said something like one in five)
My controller started malfunctioning within 2 or 3 weeks of operation. After a month it died completely.
Waiting ona replacement now but I half suspect the motor is screwy but they wont replace that until we try it with new controller..

Great roller when its working, pulls a tonne of gunk but I'm not exactly thrilled with the issues I've been having considering the cost of the unit..
Okay, yeah that sucks. I think I’m going to sit tight on the roller for a bit after thinking about it and my sump configuration. Good luck, hopefully they make it right.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back