Plumbing skimmer cup to overflow container

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to setup a skimmate container connected to my skimmer cup. Recently was out of town for a week and the skimmer pulled wet skimmate and filled the cup. So I want to put a larger container next to the sump and connect the cup to the container.
The skimmer cup already has a 3/8" drain setup. I have a 1/2 gallon glass container to act as the overflow/collection container.
I can run a 3/8" hose barb into the top of the container BUT what I am wondering is - is there a valve I should install inline to allow the flow to be stopped when emptying the container? Is there a quick disconnect of some sort that would make removal of the container?

Suggestions?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big box hardware stores sell on/off valves that fit in various size tubing in the plumbing section near the flexible tubing.

Not that you asked, but I will say i think this used to be more common but seems not so much anymore. My guess is because if some event causes your skimmer to go nuts then at best you are filling your container and getting your floor wet ....at worst you drain so much water from tank your return pump stops working.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big box hardware stores sell on/off valves that fit in various size tubing in the plumbing section near the flexible tubing.

Not that you asked, but I will say i think this used to be more common but seems not so much anymore. My guess is because if some event causes your skimmer to go nuts then at best you are filling your container and getting your floor wet ....at worst you drain so much water from tank your return pump stops working.
The container hopefully will even in normal operation extend the time between dumping the skimmer. The valves I think I have found. I am searching for a quick connect - but another person sent me a message to look at the valve / quick connects used on most canister filters.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back