PO4 Reduction, necessary or let it ride?

OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the nitrate situation with a fresh salifert kit, looks like my nitrates or 0-0.2 (had to check the high sensitivity). So I'm thinking of dosing some nitrates in to balance the phosphates first rather than just dropping them with GFO. I'll look into the products mentioned above, but will gladly take any other advice for raising nitrates if anoyone has any suggestions, thanks!

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update on the nitrate situation with a fresh salifert kit, looks like my nitrates or 0-0.2 (had to check the high sensitivity). So I'm thinking of dosing some nitrates in to balance the phosphates first rather than just dropping them with GFO. I'll look into the products mentioned above, but will gladly take any other advice for raising nitrates if anoyone has any suggestions, thanks!

That's my favorite part about the salifert kit, I wonder why no one else implements the square bottom.

Both NaNO3 and KNO3 would work, but unless you're testing for potassium it's probably safer to go with NaNO3. Brightwell neonitro worked well at first when I didn't feel like making my own solution. Now using loudwolf sodium nitrate which I believe is still the most widely used (should do your own googling on that) and RHF approved: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sodium-nitrate-dosing.271540/#post-3271706

OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my favorite part about the salifert kit, I wonder why no one else implements the square bottom.

Both NaNO3 and KNO3 would work, but unless you're testing for potassium it's probably safer to go with NaNO3. Brightwell neonitro worked well at first when I didn't feel like making my own solution. Now using loudwolf sodium nitrate which I believe is still the most widely used (should do your own googling on that) and RHF approved: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sodium-nitrate-dosing.271540/#post-3271706
thanks! yeah I was leaning more towards NaNO3 since I've talked with some other reefers who said that higher potassium begins degrading coral polyps. Have no idea of the validity of that, but I know that sodium will be easier to measure and manage if theres any issues

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your nitrates are zero you don't want to carbon dose, especially since you already have an algae filter and skimmer. They are already driving down your nitrates............this is a common problem with a lot of systems.

Using the GFO is the easiest option. I would run at half to 3/4 the recommended amount. Normally you can knock that in half in 8-10 hours. Pull the GFO for a day or two and then knock it down more to get where you want it.

I have to run GFO full time on my systems or it continues to rise. P04 in the range you're at will cause slower growth in a lot of acros.
bingo.

I'd use half the recommended amount, test, and change if needed after a few days. Personally, I'm in the heavy import and export camp; don't dose and feed heavy. I use GFO and other means to control NO3; but feeding the fish well seems to help the system overall. Don't have a big bioload? Then I'd dose NO3; but don't be afraid of using GFO, as long as you DON'T overdo it.

OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bingo.

I'd use half the recommended amount, test, and change if needed after a few days. Personally, I'm in the heavy import and export camp; don't dose and feed heavy. I use GFO and other means to control NO3; but feeding the fish well seems to help the system overall. Don't have a big bioload? Then I'd dose NO3; but don't be afraid of using GFO, as long as you DON'T overdo it.
I dont have a huge bioload since I dont want to add more fish without quarantining, and I'm lazy lol.
I'll be getting some neonitro to start dosing and see the results. If I feel like its not doing much after a few weeks I'll probably start like a half dose of GFO.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.0%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 16.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back