Pocillopora STN

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added this pocillopora to my 2 month old reef tank and it’s been doing well up until this morning where I noticed it had receded on one of the tips,

Running an Apex w/ controlled dosing
Ph 8.2
Alk 8.5
Cal 470
Mag 1244
Nitrate 1.4
Temp 77
Haven’t tested phosphate
CC82AD21-D239-4D95-9D0B-472D95E27686.jpeg
32CED06A-26DB-4656-BDE0-B39FA82E58CD.jpeg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added this pocillopora to my 2 month old reef tank and it’s been doing well up until this morning where I noticed it had receded on one of the tips,

Running an Apex w/ controlled dosing
Ph 8.2
Alk 8.5
Cal 470
Mag 1244
Nitrate 1.4
Temp 77
Haven’t tested phosphate
CC82AD21-D239-4D95-9D0B-472D95E27686.jpeg
32CED06A-26DB-4656-BDE0-B39FA82E58CD.jpeg
I have that same coral in my tank, and it has never done this.

You sure something didn't come pick at it?

I feel like if something was wrong with the water, not just that part of it would have receded.

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same coral in my tank, and it has never done this.

You sure something didn't come pick at it?

I feel like if something was wrong with the water, not just that part of it would have receded.
Something might have picked at it but all my fish and inverts are model citizens, possum wrasse, a couple circus gobies and a banggai cardinal.

Maybe it was stung by something on the frag rack at the LFS and now it’s dying back?

The rest of my corals are happy.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something might have picked at it but all my fish and inverts are model citizens, possum wrasse, a couple circus gobies and a banggai cardinal.

Maybe it was stung by something on the frag rack at the LFS and now it’s dying back?

The rest of my corals are happy.
I mean, I am not sure, but I feel like if something was wrong in your tank then more of the coral would be affected.

I guess it's possible that it was stung by something at the local fish store.

Did you add any live rock to your tank? It could be possible that there is a nocturnal creature in your tank that you don't know about.

How are other corals in the tank?

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, I am not sure, but I feel like if something was wrong in your tank then more of the coral would be affected.

I guess it's possible that it was stung by something at the local fish store.

Did you add any live rock to your tank? It could be possible that there is a nocturnal creature in your tank that you don't know about.

How are other corals in the tank?
rest of the corals are happy, I have mostly euphyllias and leathers.
I started this tank with dry rock but then added some live rock for biodiversity and removed not long after adding it.

I did recently evict a small gorilla crab from the live rock but i haven't seen anything else.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rest of the corals are happy, I have mostly euphyllias and leathers.
I started this tank with dry rock but then added some live rock for biodiversity and removed not long after adding it.

I did recently evict a small gorilla crab from the live rock but i haven't seen anything else.
Hmm. I have been reading about this, and from what I have read is peppermint shrimp can rip polyps out, (not sure if you have one), and that high alk (I am talking in the 11's or higher) can cause burns and can take up to 2 weeks to show up. Not sure if any of that is true, but that's what I read.

Obviously, if you just got your corals you can't tell if alk burns are the cause, but maybe you can call your LFS, and see if they know the alk levels, but again, I feel like alk burns wouldn't really affect just that small area of the coral.

My guess would be that something came in on your live rock, (assuming you got ocean rock), and since this is your first coral like this, whatever that was, was able to feed off of it.

Yikes that makes no sense...

I will try to explain it better... You said so far you have only leathers and euphyllias and leathers, so whatever I think ate your coral wasn't able to eat those. Then, when you added the coral, it was able to eat off of it.

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, does that part of it get light? I can't really tell of the picture.

Any part of the coral that doesn't get light will bleach, and the part with light won't.
Hmm. I have been reading about this, and from what I have read is peppermint shrimp can rip polyps out, (not sure if you have one), and that high alk (I am talking in the 11's or higher) can cause burns and can take up to 2 weeks to show up. Not sure if any of that is true, but that's what I read.

Obviously, if you just got your corals you can't tell if alk burns are the cause, but maybe you can call your LFS, and see if they know the alk levels, but again, I feel like alk burns wouldn't really affect just that small area of the coral.

My guess would be that something came in on your live rock, (assuming you got ocean rock), and since this is your first coral like this, whatever that was, was able to feed off of it.

Yikes that makes no sense...

I will try to explain it better... You said so far you have only leathers and euphyllias and leathers, so whatever I think ate your coral wasn't able to eat those. Then, when you added the coral, it was able to eat off of it.
yeah the rock I added was from the gulf, and I do not have any shrimp ATM, the coral is also not near anything else that could shade it, I'll keep an eye out for pests and see if it subsides.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back