pod cultures

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the correct place for this, however I am looking to grow and harvest pod cultures for some of the fish and inverts I have. I need some information on how to do this. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing most kinds of pods requires phytoplankton.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following along with this one. I've seen people grow phyto in 2 liter bottles and feed a small 10g tank with a pod culture in it.

I thought there was a sticky about this in one of the sections but I can't seem to find it. Maybe somebody else will have the link lol

@pdisner care to chime in?

Pygmey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested as well. I am trying to do it basically in small water bottles but curious of others experience.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He can also get you pods at really low prices.

xroads

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing pods for years. First what type of pods are you wanting to grow, and are you planning on feeding your reef in general, or larvae?

OP
OP
Ubergroover

Ubergroover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing pods for years. First what type of pods are you wanting to grow, and are you planning on feeding your reef in general, or larvae?
I want to have a sustainable pod colony for general reef feeding. I will be darned if I can find a howto on how to do it. I have watched a few youtube vids and I have General idea. but, some advice from someone who does it would be more than welcome....

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is easy. It is just harvesting a population out of a bottle. Tigger pods live in tide pools. Where the salinity can go way up and down. Same as the temp 70-90F+. Tisbe pods can live in a home aquarium. They are a smaller pod. They populate pretty good in 3 weeks time. The more time. The more pods. That is how it works.
Tisbe pods have a life cycle of 82 days. The females can be fertile 2 times in that life cycle. 30 to 130 eggs per fertilization. There is an estimate of 600 Tisbe pods in the Algagen bottle. 300(1/2 females)x30eggs=9k x 2=18k in 82 days.
If the Tigger pods life cycle is the same. They say there is 2k-4k Tigger pods in a bottle. Do the math of the lowest amount to expect 2k in a bottle of Tigger pods. 1/2 the population 1k females x 30eggs= 30k x 2 per life cycle=60k within 82 days.
Glass box, room temp, and a slow drip airlines. With salinity at 1.025. Use phytoplankton or spirulina powder. This is my colony as of today.

IMG_20171120_163313.jpg

OP
OP
Ubergroover

Ubergroover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is easy. It is just harvesting a population out of a bottle. Tigger pods live in tide pools. Where the salinity can go way up and down. Same as the temp 70-90F+. Tisbe pods can live in a home aquarium. They are a smaller pod. They populate pretty good in 3 weeks time. The more time. The more pods. That is how it works.
Tisbe pods have a life cycle of 82 days. The females can be fertile 2 times in that life cycle. 30 to 130 eggs per fertilization. There is an estimate of 600 Tisbe pods in the Algagen bottle. 300(1/2 females)x30eggs=9k x 2=18k in 82 days.
If the Tigger pods life cycle is the same. They say there is 2k-4k Tigger pods in a bottle. Do the math of the lowest amount to expect 2k in a bottle of Tigger pods. 1/2 the population 1k females x 30eggs= 30k x 2 per life cycle=60k within 82 days.
Glass box, room temp, and a slow drip airlines. With salinity at 1.025. Use phytoplankton or spirulina powder. This is my colony as of today.

IMG_20171120_163313.jpg
thank you so much...info. perfect!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much...info. perfect!
If you get Tigger pods. Make sure you leave the cap open. When transporting them. You can close it. When you get to your place of stay with a tank of room temp saltwater of 1.025. Float the bottle for a good 15-30 minutes to bring the bottle up to temp. They will go into temperature shock and possibly die if you do not.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to stir anything up, not terribly familiar with all rules. But if you are company trying to operate here, shouldn't you be a sponsor?

OT, culturing is pretty easy. I'd look into growing phytoplankton too, that way you can keep a consistent supply of food for your pods. My cultures got too cold last winter and crashed, hazards of an unfinished basement. I keep heaters going now. Its pretty simple, don't need anything fancy. I run three 5-gallon storage containers, airstone and heater in each, some matrix on the bottom so the tanks are cycled. Keep the water tinted green, filter out a bunch every so often. I used to feed Nanno and Tetraselmis (sp?). I believe the nanno wasn't the correct size for the pods to eat, read that somwhere as well, which I can't find now. I will be using nanno now for rotifers.

Last edited by a moderator:

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to stir anything up, not terribly familiar with all rules. But if you are company trying to operate here, shouldn't you be a sponsor?

OT, culturing is pretty easy. I'd look into growing phytoplankton too, that way you can keep a consistent supply of food for your pods. My cultures got too cold last winter and crashed, hazards of an unfinished basement. I keep heaters going now. Its pretty simple, don't need anything fancy. I run three 5-gallon storage containers, airstone and heater in each, some matrix on the bottom so the tanks are cycled. Keep the water tinted green, filter out a bunch every so often. I used to feed Nanno and Tetraselmis (sp?). I believe the nanno wasn't the correct size for the pods to eat, read that somwhere as well, which I can't find now. I will be using nanno now for rotifers.

I AM NOT A COMPANY. I SAID “WE” MEANING ME AND MY WIFE. I CULTURE LIVE FOOD FOR MY OWN LIVESTOCK AND TRYING TO RAISE SOME FRY. I SELL EXTRA LIVE FOOD TO COVER A LITTLE MY OWN EXPENSES IN THIS HOBBY JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. THERES NO DIFFERENCE THAN SOMEONE SELLI G OFF THEIR XTRA CHAETO OR CORAL FRAGS TO SUPPLEMENT THEIR HOBBY FUND. PAULS PODS WAS A NICKNAME THAT CAUGHT ON AFTER SOMEONE THAT I SOLD TO AND WAS HAPPY WITH HIS SHIPMENT. I AM NOT A COMPANY. I DONT HAVE A BUSINESS LICENSE. I ONLY SELL TO FORUM FRIENDS AND ACQUAINTANCES.
THANK YOU
PAUL

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need a bucket, [email protected] room
temp unless u live in Montana, a source of phytoplankton, air pump and tubing on a bubble a second, and a good starter culture of the desired pods...Tisbe or Tig. Californicus

CJRIZZOTTI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back