Pod population explosion, feasting on my zoas?

OP
OP
P

Pastronomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of interesting reading here, thank you all for taking the time to reply with your thoughts and findings.

So obviously it's up for debate if the "pods" are causing me issues, or they're just capitalising on unhealthy corals for an easy snack. However, given I have an enormous population, is there anything I can do to keep it somewhat in check?

The tank is all of 20 gallons and stock limited not by bioload but because my clowns are jerks and will bully anything I add, so a dragonette is out of the question I feel (sadly!)

I've reduced feeding for now but suspect that's good long term.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of interesting reading here, thank you all for taking the time to reply with your thoughts and findings.

So obviously it's up for debate if the "pods" are causing me issues, or they're just capitalising on unhealthy corals for an easy snack. However, given I have an enormous population, is there anything I can do to keep it somewhat in check?

The tank is all of 20 gallons and stock limited not by bioload but because my clowns are jerks and will bully anything I add, so a dragonette is out of the question I feel (sadly!)

I've reduced feeding for now but suspect that's good long term.
Hi mate, there are lots of species of fish that will prey on amphipods. the problem is amphipods are often present at night when some fish species are inactive. This may be part of their defence.

However personally I always used a Melanarus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) for my coral tables in my shop. They will inspect corals and eat a number of different coral parasites, during the day time turkey baste the corals to and rocks to dislodge any amphipods or other pests. The melanarus will follow you and hoover up what falls off.

This species can grow to around 12cm. I personally never had a sand bottom in my coral tables and the wrasse where fine, I used a pvc pipe for them to hide if stressed or spooked.

Most important is to keep a good cover on the tank, they can jump.

You can also do some research on similar species if you would like to try something smaller. I loved my melanarus they would follow me around when I placed new corals into the tables and inspect each one.

Also important is they can find other things to eat once the amphipod population decreases, mine all eat pellets readily.

Don't forget to QT your wrasse before adding to your DT. I also recommend buying direct through your TMC retailer and collecting the fish still in the bag from the wholesaler.

Bets wishes from a fellow UK reefer, I just hope you are not a Chelsea Fan. I am originally from Boro. (Middlesbrough) :)

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed you only have a nano 70 litre tank, the melanarus is out of the question.
lol I was wondering why would you promote so vigorously well a fish that he should never try to introduce into his tank.

Speaking of Melanarus, while they are one of the best pest eaters and it is a lovey fish - it also may nip on corals (especially the expansive ones, because of course they would).

But generally most wrasses would do the job just fine, only problem I see is that some amphepods can be too large for smaller wrasses to munch on.

If you are feeding with any coral food - I would try to reduce or completely stop using it, as well as to better clean the sand and rocks from detritus - this would limit their main food source and reduce the population size.

OP
OP
P

Pastronomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so not a pod, but I was looking around at some more of my vanishing zoas and spotted something that I did not expect.

what the heck is this thing, it had a really good grip of the rock, but I got my tweezers and grabbed it out of my tank.

I haven't killed it yet as if it's useful I can throw it back in, but from what I've read basically nothing this shape is good.

Thoughts? Have I found my nemesis?

Edit: stomatella snail? Seems to be a good guy?

PXL_20240128_193436410.jpg

PXL_20240128_193754167.jpg

OP
OP
P

Pastronomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Stomatella - good CUC.
Thanks! Moment of panic, but it's back in the tank.

Lights are off for the night and only 10 mins later this previously healthy coral is currently dinner.

PXL_20240128_221038910.jpg

My current spate of coral losses is really putting a downer on this hobby for me, not going to lie!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back