OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cultured phyto and pods in the same container for over 1 yr. Nearly zero effort. Phyto feeds the pods. I dose both to my tank and done. Now my tank is crawling with pods.
@RIC13 Wow you did them together? Did you have it heated or more bubbles etc? Did you feed it fertilizer?

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Here are my posts explaining how I cultured phyto, pods and now brine shrimp. Easy day. Room temp. Air stone. Pods and phyto in their own containers. Brine shrimp and phyto in their own.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RIC13 sweet I just read through that. I see you used F2 fertilizer, for the ones with copepods in there did you keep on fertilizing to keep the phyto going?

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
@RIC13 sweet I just read through that. I see you used F2 fertilizer, for the ones with copepods in there did you keep on fertilizing to keep the phyto going?
I occasionally added F2 when the color of the water became pale. But for the most part once it started, the water stayed nice and green. Same is true for the brine when cultured in phyto. A little bit of F2 lasts FOREVER!

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I’m stumped.. my pods are exploding. I am doing phyto too. If I try to culture them phyto alone with air it doesn’t do well. But my phyto I have going without air and with pods in it is growing way better darker and faster??

I thought the pods would eat the phyto away and without air the phyto would die?? Someone tell me what’s going on haha

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don’t know how it all works, but in my experience the culture will eventually crash (could be multiple months), and, when it does, I just restart it by adding some more phyto and F2 fertilizer.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So crazy. I just kept seeing everyone saying you need air for phyto and just phyto not pods in there. But my pods / phyto mix with no air is doing WAY better. Seems weird.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back