Pods disappearing?

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I have a question regarding copepods and amphipods. I have been letting my tanks run fishless and the copepods and amphipod population in my tanks has exploded. I would let algae grow on the glass for them to eat and never cleaned it, and also added phytoplankton, as well as pellets. Just recently I used an algae scraper to clean the glass, and my store ran out of phyto so I had to use zoo plankton. My population of both types of pods has plummeted, and if I look long enough I can actually see dead amphipods being blown around by the pump. And its not a matter of that I just cant see them on the glass anymore- they used to be absolutely everywhere. Any ideas as to what could be killing them?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pods eat phytoplankton, which is the plant part of plankton. Zooplankton is the animal part of plankton. As mentioned above, you are adding something in the zooplankton (ciliates) which feed on the pods.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pods eat phytoplankton, which is the plant part of plankton. Zooplankton is the animal part of plankton. As mentioned above, you are adding something in the zooplankton (ciliates) which feed on the pods.
Ah crap, haha. Well thank you petstore for screwing me over.
What I’m using is seachem bottled zooplankton. That would be the issue then?

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah crap, haha. Well thank you petstore for screwing me over.
What I’m using is seachem bottled zooplankton. That would be the issue then?
Based on the ingredients there's nothing in Seachem zooplankton that should harm your copepod population but.....I wouldn't add it as it's nothing besides dead kirll,brine,and some Astaxanthin with a couple acids which isn't really doing anything for you population. Copepods and amphipods are self regulating based on the food source that's provided . Also check the parameters of your tank as well

ohana888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amphipods (gammarus) -> copepods (tisbe, tigger, acrop) -> zooplankton -> phytoplankton?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Old thread haha. I have someone in town now who supplies me with a gallon of phyto for $10, so I have some haha.
Ahh. Sorry. It just popped up in my feed. Glad you have it resolved. Happy reefing!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back