Pohls Xtra Special and Vitalizer Causing Cyano Outbreak?

  • Thread starter Thread starter atp0726
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

atp0726

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
281
Reaction score
62
Location
Upstate, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else experience this with these products? Happened a few days after dosing half the recommended dose. I have since stopped dosing and things are improving. I have heard good things about these products and would like to continue using but not if I continue to get cyano outbreaks. I know they claim to make other products to combat cyano, that could possibly be used in accordance.

I do not run a Zeovit system, nor do I have a ulns. I keep the phosphate as close to .03 as possible and nitrate between 5-10.
 
I have used the Pohl's Xtra not the Xtra Special since 2008 with great success and no cyano outbreaks ever. I dose every other day though.
 
As far I remember from my earlier experience that Pohls extra special contain amino and coral vitalizer is also very rich in nutrient. So, if your system is not ULNS and you are even feeding half dose still you are over dosing it. Possibly you should try dosing them twice a week on separate days and half the dose. Or you can lower down your nutrient a bit less.
 
I may have overdone it at first. I was dosing half a dose of each everyday. Once, the cyano clears I may try each once a week and go from there if I even decide to continue using it. I honestly, don't know if I even need it. At the time I started adding it I was battling an unknown issue affecting my SPS. I think I have since figured out the issue and it wasn't a nutrient problem which I had originally thought.
 
I may have overdone it at first. I was dosing half a dose of each everyday. Once, the cyano clears I may try each once a week and go from there if I even decide to continue using it. I honestly, don't know if I even need it. At the time I started adding it I was battling an unknown issue affecting my SPS. I think I have since figured out the issue and it wasn't a nutrient problem which I had originally thought.

What was the problem
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new