Poinsoned tank w/plastic decor. Help!

Overstocking leads to increased ammonia which is deadly. It also increases aggression and stress, which can lead to injuries and susceptability to disease such as parasites, infections etc.
 
I'm really sorry for your losses and the stress this is putting you through :(

When did you set up the tank? What kind of rock and sand did you use (dry rock, or live rock and sand)? Were you testing the water yourself or did a LFS do it for you?
 
Treating with Ruby Reef Rally and yes, my ammonia was still testing at 0.
 
Thanks, I had the tank for 2 months and bought it used..transferred the sand, live rock, and filters in water. Started putting in fish 6 weeks ago.
 
Rally is a useful product, but it will only provide temporary relief from velvet. CP or copper will be needed to eradicate velvet, if that is what you have. This will explain how to treat velvet:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

Have you read through all the guides on top new to saltwater forum? They have a lot of good info even for an experienced reefer. I think you need to slow down, lower the fish load and give the tank some time. This wont help any fish that may have velvet, but it might make the hobby better for you going forward.

Good luck and I am sorry for your losses.
 
everybody keeps telling me plastic decor will kill my fish, but I cant find any actual proof of this
 
everybody keeps telling me plastic decor will kill my fish, but I cant find any actual proof of this
This thread has circumstantial evidence that it does. The theory is that the fish are so stressed from the ugly decorations that they die from a broken heart.

I have never tried them in my tank because I think I would die from embarrassment.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new