I need advice on using prime I have to go out of town for almost 3 weeks emergency trip

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a qt tank setup with copper right now and there is a lot of fish in there it’s been fine so far I’ve been dosing prime every day but I’m gonna be gone and I’m worried about ammonia spikes. It has biological filtration as well I just use prime to help even things out. Could I put prime in the auto top off water as a way to dose the tank to keep the ammonia levels down?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a qt tank setup with copper right now and there is a lot of fish in there it’s been fine so far I’ve been dosing prime every day but I’m gonna be gone and I’m worried about ammonia spikes. It has biological filtration as well I just use prime to help even things out. Could I put prime in the auto top off water as a way to dose the tank to keep the ammonia levels down?
If you stop dosing prime for 24 hours, does the ammonia increase?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime doesn't seem to actually help with ammonia at all, so I'd say no:
By all accounts I can find, no, Prime and other conditioners will not actually detoxify ammonia (Randy Holmes-Farley has written about this a few times on the forum now, and a few others have done some testing on the topic too):
too):
Like the claims about Prine, I am not convinced it does anything useful.
I’d love to know if it does anything useful. Don’t be fooled into assuming all hobby products do what they claim. Some some do not.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you stop dosing prime for 24 hours, does the ammonia increase?
Yes well it’s supposed to just bind to the ammonia making it less toxic however ammonia will still show up on tests but maybe my biological filtration is what’s doing the work idk tho

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes well it’s supposed to just bind to the ammonia making it less toxic however ammonia will still show up on tests but maybe my biological filtration is what’s doing the work idk tho
See the quote below and the second link in my quote posted above:
The links talk about that (posts 9, 13, and 14 in the second thread are particularly good); and yes, most test kits - including the one recommended by Seachem - can't read any difference between water with prime and water without (post 14 discusses this too).

As mentioned in the threads, probably the best way to tell for sure would be to run a controlled ammonia toxicity test using live specimens, but that runs into some ethical concerns, and to my knowledge hasn't been attempted yet (someone on the Humblefish forums technically ran a semi-serious test, but the shrimp were fine in all three conditions, so it's pretty safe to say they didn't add enough ammonia to begin with for a toxicity test).
Also:

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I understand the claim, the claim as far as most of the community is concerned is false. But if you have ammonia present in your system, you may want to add more biological filtration.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I understand the claim, the claim as far as most of the community is concerned is false. But if you have ammonia present in your system, you may want to add more biological filtration.
I don’t currently have ammonia in the system I’m just worried that I will being gone for 3 weeks

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t currently have ammonia in the system I’m just worried that I will being gone for 3 weeks
If you have enough biological filtration to convert the ammonia to nitrite and the nitrite to nitrate, you no longer have to worry about ammonia. I assume someone is going to be watching the tank while you're away, feeding, etc? If you want to pickup a seachem ammonia badge and toss it in there so they have a clear indicator, that wouldn't be a bad thing. But I'd say you're fine and the prime is really only providing you with placebo relief rather than confidence

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold on, you want to keep them in the QT tank with copper for 3 weeks while you are away? If the copper treatment is not complete, you will have to restart it anyway. Put them in a tank with cycled live rock and no copper while you are gone.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold on, you want to keep them in the QT tank with copper for 3 weeks while you are away? If the copper treatment is not complete, you will have to restart it anyway. Put them in a tank with cycled live rock and no copper while you are gone.
Why is this if it is at the right level why would the level change or have to restart I have not done a water change since I started at and won’t until they are done with copper. It has stayed constant the whole time. I’m confused at why you think I would have to restart when I got back.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have enough biological filtration to convert the ammonia to nitrite and the nitrite to nitrate, you no longer have to worry about ammonia. I assume someone is going to be watching the tank while you're away, feeding, etc? If you want to pickup a seachem ammonia badge and toss it in there so they have a clear indicator, that wouldn't be a bad thing. But I'd say you're fine and the prime is really only providing you with placebo relief rather than confidence
Ahhh well thank you and no one is monitoring it I don’t have anyone to go over there have left it unsupervised for a month before have an auto top off and enough food in my feeder to last that long. My feeder is also connected to my phone so I can see if it goes out and figure out something then.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this

Never use ammonia removing products or other reducing agents (dechlorinator) when dosing copper. Most products bind copper with an amine to reduce toxicity to the fish. Reducing agents break that bond, releasing free copper that can harm the fish.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...
How many fish in how big a QT?
Are you testing for copper?
Should test all the time when running a QT I'd imagine.
You have to maintain a therapeutic level of copper for a specified time or all is for naught. Gotta test so you know. ;)
If you're worried about ammonia then probably not enough biological filtration?
Is anyone watching them for 3 weeks?
I don't leave my fish unattended relatively EVER. Just me.
Prime does nothing as far as I know.
I'd love to give you a good answer but your post is pretty vague and I don't have much to go off of sorry.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahhh well thank you and no one is monitoring it I don’t have anyone to go over there have left it unsupervised for a month before have an auto top off and enough food in my feeder to last that long. My feeder is also connected to my phone so I can see if it goes out and figure out something then.
I would guess it will be fine. I don't know how much your tank is worth - I always just hired a house sitter.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve read that there’s a different thread that someone tested it and it had no effect on copper power specifically toxicity. But I’m still confused at why you would say I would have to restart?

The trouble is, it depends on the amount of unreacted reducing agent. The chemistry is VERY complicated, but some reactions occur before others. So - adding dechlor to just the amount needed to reduce free chlorine is fine, but if added in surplus, it starts to look for other reactions. The fear is that it may begin breaking the ammonia/copper bond. Better to be safe and not combine them.

kentexan3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put two handfuls of my grape cholerpa macroalgea from my ref in a clear fish breeder and hung it on the wall of my qt with a small wave maker pointed at it and no more detectable ammonia…don’t know if it was a coincidence or not but I’m finishing a 90 day fallow after an ich outbreak and no longer worry about ammonia.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is is supposed to do seems to not be what it actually does. lol

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back