Going on vacation for a week. Need advice

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going on vacation for a week at the end of this month and need some advice. This will be my first time leaving the tank alone with no one home. Every other time I went away was when I was living at my parents so they would keep an eye on the tank and feed them but now that I moved out the tank will be alone.

My fish get fed 3 times a day, twice by auto feeder and once by me for frozen. I’m not too worried about the feeding because I think they’ll be ok just getting pellets. My ato container can last for about 9-10 days so that will be ok but I’m nervous just cause I’m gone it won’t last the week. I have a full apex system so I will be able to monitor most things.

Just looking for advice on things to prepare and some steps I can take to make sure everything will be ok till I get back. I believe it will be but I’m still pretty nervous. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re worried about the ATO you could always adjust the surface flow to reduce evaporation. Even lowering the temp to 77 flat helps if you’re running at 78.

Otherwise ask someone to check in on it on day 3 and day 5 if you can. Some people do webcams but I don’t. My neighbour just pops in to have a look and make sure fish are alive and no water is on the floor.

Inevitably all you can do is hope for the best and expect to deal with something when you get back.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t change anything last minute or before your vacation. I would install a camera at the tank, especially the sump and you can watch that remotely. Skimmer overflow might be your problem, happened to me while on vacation. Dosing: I use a CaRx so can coast for months. If you’re doing 2-parts, fill up the dosing containers. You can also do some “test runs” prior to your vacation to flush things out. That is, don’t touch the tank for a week and see what happens…

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only concerned is ato, use a plastic storage bin with higher capacity while you’re gone. I try to coordination with a friend or family member in case something seems off they can stop by and I guide them.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re worried about the ATO you could always adjust the surface flow to reduce evaporation. Even lowering the temp to 77 flat helps if you’re running at 78.

Otherwise ask someone to check in on it on day 3 and day 5 if you can. Some people do webcams but I don’t. My neighbour just pops in to have a look and make sure fish are alive and no water is on the floor.

Inevitably all you can do is hope for the best and expect to deal with something when you get back.
Thank you, I run my tank at 78 so I will lower it down to 77 while I’m gone

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t change anything last minute or before your vacation. I would install a camera at the tank, especially the sump and you can watch that remotely. Skimmer overflow might be your problem, happened to me while on vacation. Dosing: I use a CaRx so can coast for months. If you’re doing 2-parts, fill up the dosing containers. You can also do some “test runs” prior to your vacation to flush things out. That is, don’t touch the tank for a week and see what happens…
I think I’m going to turn the skimmer off for the time I’m away, I was planning on ordering a camera so maybe I’ll just leave the cabinet doors open so I can watch the display and sump at the same time. The only thing I have to dose is alk so I’ll make sure that’s topped off. Never thought of doing a test run but I will do that this week, it will put me as ease if everything goes smooth

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I run my tank at 78 so I will lower it down to 77 while I’m gone
That’s really only if you’re worried about the ATO. If the normal is 9 days then you should be ok. I have a 5g ATO so I dropped my temp 1 degree to make sure it lasted, otherwise I would have kept the temp the same.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to turn the skimmer off for the time I’m away, I was planning on ordering a camera so maybe I’ll just leave the cabinet doors open so I can watch the display and sump at the same time. The only thing I have to dose is alk so I’ll make sure that’s topped off. Never thought of doing a test run but I will do that this week, it will put me as ease if everything goes smooth
Just run a dry skim while you’re away if you normally run a wet skim.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going on vacation for a week at the end of this month and need some advice. This will be my first time leaving the tank alone with no one home. Every other time I went away was when I was living at my parents so they would keep an eye on the tank and feed them but now that I moved out the tank will be alone.

My fish get fed 3 times a day, twice by auto feeder and once by me for frozen. I’m not too worried about the feeding because I think they’ll be ok just getting pellets. My ato container can last for about 9-10 days so that will be ok but I’m nervous just cause I’m gone it won’t last the week. I have a full apex system so I will be able to monitor most things.

Just looking for advice on things to prepare and some steps I can take to make sure everything will be ok till I get back. I believe it will be but I’m still pretty nervous. Thanks in advance for any help.
I leave my system for a week with no worries at all. I set it up that way.

Things I do a couple days before hand:

Make sure the ATO is topped up and working correctly.
Make sure the auto-feeder is topped up and working correctly.
Look for anything out of place.
DON'T MAKE ANY CHANGES right before you leave.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave my system for a week with no worries at all. I set it up that way.

Things I do a couple days before hand:

Make sure the ATO is topped up and working correctly.
Make sure the auto-feeder is topped up and working correctly.
Look for anything out of place.
DON'T MAKE ANY CHANGES right before you leave.
Thank you. I’m going to fill up my ato the morning I leave, and my auto feeder at the same time

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back