• Acrylic

Results are only viewable after voting.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing - every quote I've gotten for a glass aquarium has been 3x as much as an acrylic one. That in of itself is a good deal. Haha.

You can sometimes get a really good deal on a second hand acrylic tank. And unlike glass, you can buff it out to look brand new if you don't mind spending the time.

enveetie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a custom made acrylic and never again. It just doesn't look as clear as glass.

must have been some weird acrylic or too thin, or not properly reinforced because acrylic is much more clear than glass.

ive had both. i prefer acrylic until i have to clean it. that being said, i probably won't go back to acrylic for a dt.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend the money on a proper sanding kit (mighty magnets has a great one). I accidentally slid a snail shell about 5 feet across my acrylic front and was able to sand it right out and it looks brand new.

I spend about 2 hours every 6 months to sand the front pane and it always ends up looking brand new and as clear as ever.

I also don't know how people are saying glass is clearer? My acrylic display is so much clearer than my old miracles starfire glass; looks like the fish are just floating around. The only issue I have with acrylic so far is I can't use metal scrapers for coralline and cleaning the lower display pane along the bottom of the sand bed is a PITA.

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2014-07-09 14.21.44.jpg
I've owned a 600 acrylic and I now own a 440 glass Coast to coast build. I know all the pros and cons one can read on the net as I've lived them! Hands down, the glass tank is prettier, and just looks more substantial. The scratch factor is huge when you buy a big tank as you hope to keep it a LONG time. And that scratch created by a simple grain of sand or rubble while removing algal film is there forever! And no matter how careful you are-- ONE DAY, you will scratch that plastic. And then that is ALL you SEE from that moment on. Plexi will also bow to a disturbing degree in too thin panels. The ONLY benefit of a acrylic used to be the fact that it is SO clear! But now the newer versions of star fire glass and other new brands of glass are equally clear. The other benefit that reminds between the two is acrylic is lighter and if you are a renter or move a lot, acrylic in large tank form is moveable. Glass tanks over 180 gal will require a crew of 6. My tank took 8 to move it and put it in place. I dread the idea of moving it-ever

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic, #1 reason is clarity. Other benefits, half the weight of glass, better insulating property's. And I believe acrylic is less likely to have a blowout . sure you have to be careful not to scratch it but, so what!!

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic, #1 reason is clarity. Other benefits, half the weight of glass, better insulating property's. And I believe acrylic is less likely to have a blowout . sure you have to be careful not to scratch it but, so what!!
well, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade or be difficult BUT--- those net chat reasons and manufacturers reasons are valid but as a hobbyist of 50 years, and having owned both for many years-- insulation is the least of concerns these days as heat from equipment is a compensator that older once upon a time issue once emphasized. I have had a large 600 gallon acrylic actually delaminate over 8 years of service. I have also owned one acrylic that failed due to bowing ( over 48 inches) putting stress on the corners and actually creating a stress fracture in the joints. Just as bigger glass tanks are given Euro-brace supports around the top, west coast acrylic manufacturers put on full tops with cut outs in order to compensate for thinner bowing tendencies of thinner materials. And as far as clarity-- acrylics 'were' the hands down champs. Now new glass low iron fronts on glass tanks narrow that gap to near even. In the end, the look and impression of glass and acrylic tanks is very much a personal taste -- just as light effects are ( halide, LED, LED blue mix effects). I personally, prefer the overall look of a glass tank. One of my marine tanks is a 120 gal simple glass tank with Kessil 850 lights ( two)-- the look of this 'mostly bubble tip anemone some common fish' aquarium with very large show pieces of pacific coral bridges ( dead structures) is eye popping! And isn't that what we shoot for? something that ' all in' is an amazing slice of the sea ?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2014-07-09 14.21.44.jpg
The other benefit that reminds between the two is acrylic is lighter and if you are a renter or move a lot, acrylic in large tank form is moveable. Glass tanks over 180 gal will require a crew of 6. My tank took 8 to move it and put it in place. I dread the idea of moving it-ever
That was a big one for me. My old glass 150g weighed just north of 400lbs empty.

HereWeGoAgain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't imagine spending so much money and effort setting up an acrylic tank, only to be disappointed with the scratches it would invariably sustain over time.
Maybe acrylic for a very small tank, for someone new to the hobby, as long as they know they are going to upgrade to glass if they stay in the hobby and upsize as time goes on.
I will say one negative about glass, however--the w. I recently installed a 175 gallon system, and was super nervous about breaking the glass as I moved it from the pallet it came on to the stand. The DT weighed almost 350 pounds, and it took 6 of us to move it, and even then it was quite difficult, because no one could be on the back side of the tank, with the stand so close to the wall.

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would go out of my way to buy another acrylic tank, but I also wouldn't shy away from a good deal on one if it came along. ;)

Well turns out I am buying a 150 gal acrylic cube next week. A good deal I couldn't pass up. Corners look nice too as the whole tank has only three seams. Fingers crossed.
It will be a display refugium though and I will pair it up with a fiberglass tank for my main display. Not to derail the thread, but with an in-wall fiberglass tank at <100lb I am hoping to get the benefit of a glass viewing pane with lighter weight than plywood, all glass or acrylic.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Not to derail the thread, but with an in-wall fiberglass tank at <100lb I am hoping to get the benefit of a glass viewing pane with lighter weight than plywood, all glass or acrylic.

IMHO, this is pretty much the ideal for larger tanks. If you are able, I would love to see a detail of how the glass viewing pane is attached to the rest of the fiberglass walls.

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip I'll send you a message so as to not derail the thread.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both. I strongly prefer acrylic. I know of way too many glass tank failures. Everything from slow leaks, split side, cracked bottom, cracked side, to the whole side of a tank coming off and destroying the first floor of a house. I only know of one acrylic failure and that was because there was no real support under it on one end of a 400 gallon tank. It actually lasted years that way before the bottom burst. The tank never should have been set up the way it was. A glass tank would have failled much sooner.
Yes acrylic scratches easier. Those scratches can be pretty easily buffed out. Scratches in glass are all but impossible to remove.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back