• Acrylic

Results are only viewable after voting.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a simple question - Is your aquarium glass or acrylic? Yes, many factors come in to play when making your decision, but just trying to get a feel of the ratio from the group. Feel free to comment on reasoning.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a simple question - Is your aquarium glass or acrylic? Yes, many factors come in to play when making your decision, but just trying to get a feel of the ratio from the group. Feel free to comment on reasoning.
I will never own another acrylic display tank, even if you're careful you'll get tiny scratches that quickly fill with algae that you can't scrub out easily. I will forever and henceforth be a glass-only type of guy for main display tanks. I would consider acrylic for a frag tank if the price was right.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I've ever seen an acrylic tank that didn't have odd bubbles in it, or wasn't covered with scratches.
That being said, I haven't seen more than maybe 10 and I'm certain they were all in stores.

I can't see why I would go for acrylic, except maybe for the weight reduction.
The sump would be fine, but even then, I prefer glass.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I've ever seen an acrylic tank that didn't have odd bubbles in it, or was covered with scratches.
That being said, I haven't seen more than maybe 10 and I'm certain they were all in stores.

I can't see why I would go for acrylic, except maybe for the weight reduction.
The sump would be fine, but even then, I prefer glass.

Considering how often people move their tanks (once during install?) I'm not sure weight is a huge factor. Cost is probably the biggest one - as you go larger, above 240g, a lot of custom tanks are double the price of a comparable glass one... at least in my experience getting quotes from various places. (72"x36"x24").

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to rock glass but I have done acrylic. One possible pro for acrylic is..I don't know if it is impossible with glass, but I have seen more custom shaped acrylic tanks.

Landams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of each, 75 glass and 120 acrylic, and already looking to replace the acrylic after only 6 months. The glass tank is so much clearer than acrylic. Also the acrylic is very distorted and scratches way to easy. Nothing is near as pretty through the acrylic.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an acrylic QT because it's an AIO. Other than that I'd pretty much never go for an acrylic DT. All my tanks are custom and silicone & glass give me more satisfaction to work with than acrylic when looking at the finished product. I really like using glass that is slightly thicker than normal or standard and for display refugiums, I prefer it being all glass, no bracing on top (40g & 60g cubes).

Maybe corny thing to say but a tank made out of acrylic - on the smaller sizes like < 30gal - is something that makes me feel like it's a kid's toy and not a "real" aquarium. But yeah there are many differences between acrylic and glass that in certain situations make acrylic easier or more practical to work with than glass.

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a custom made acrylic and never again. It just doesn't look as clear as glass.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with acrylic because I built the tank myself. I did not like the idea of handling an 8' sheet of glass. I looked in to having a glass tank built but shipping would have been a third of the total cost which I couldn't swallow. If I had a local builder I may have went with a glass tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be all-glass, but my last DT was acrylic. It was a love-hate relationship for the entire 4 1/2 years I had it. I got used to being more careful whenever I would wipe down the panels, but would also come home to encrusted coralline (that was next to impossible to remove without scratching) if I travelled for too long.

I don't think I would go out of my way to buy another acrylic tank, but I also wouldn't shy away from a good deal on one if it came along. ;)

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be all-glass, but my last DT was acrylic. It was a love-hate relationship for the entire 4 1/2 years. I got used to being more careful whenever I wiped down the panels, but I would also come home to encrusted coralline (that was next to impossible to remove without scratching) if I travelled for too long.

I don't think I would go out of my way to buy another acrylic tank, but I also wouldn't shy away from a good deal on one if it came along. ;)

That's the thing - every quote I've gotten for a glass aquarium has been 3x as much as an acrylic one. That in of itself is a good deal. Haha.

Back