Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I changed out my ATO this weekend and it got me thinking - if a person doesn't have a RODI unit, what are they using to replace evaporated water. I realize, or at least hypothesize, the majority of people have a RODI but thought it might be interesting to what other sources people are using/available for those that do not.

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually bought my starter RO/DI unit from my LFS as one of the first pieces of equipment for my current setup. In time I upgraded to the BRS accessories (double membrane for 150gpd; double DI unit to get the cleanest water possible). I just saved up and collected piece-by-piece, and was so glad I didn’t just plunk everything down on a credit card.

But even with my starter unit alone, I created crystal clear water that first cycled my tank, my sump and QT. I don’t think I would have had such success with tap water...even with Prime or whatever conditioner you use.

Sure, my LFS probably has even cleaner water, but I’m not into lugging water in my car. Besides my Neptune Apex controls my RO/DI, ATO and water changes now; so I’m not even lifting a five gallon bucket of water anymore.

Jeff Cole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the money for an RODI so I just buy it from the store.
What really made me make the investment is I was having a phosphate issue and finally checked the TDS on the LFS water and TDS was 129. Shop owner claimed he had forgotten to change the RO membrane and di cartridge. That was it for me. Make sure you test the TDS on any water you plan to add to your tank.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy saltwater from my LFS and top off with distilled water. I got rid of my RO/DI years ago when I took a break from the hobby. I should probably buy a new one, but I've been lazy.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a 50gpd unit that gets hooked up to my bathroom faucet. If i dont make enough on days i am home for water changes, top off of my planted and reef. I use grocery store distilled.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best investment anyone in this hobby can make is having your OWN RO/DI unit. I know cost may come up and when you actually think about it, you can find great prices on them. Buying water from a LFS is in my opinion one of the WORSE things you can do. LFS are notorious for having bad water quality in their displays (at least a lot of them) so I personally won't trust any water from them.

Do you self a favor if you don't have one, find a used one on your local board. When I go to an LFS and I see people hauling in 10 - 5 gallon jugs to get filled I just honestly laugh to myself. That is one quick way to get yourself out of the hobby quickly if you ask me.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current percentage of people that have units should speak for itself really. 86.5% of current votes have their own system.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using tap water for about 7 months and quickly switched.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best investment anyone in this hobby can make is having your OWN RO/DI unit. I know cost may come up and when you actually think about it, you can find great prices on them. Buying water from a LFS is in my opinion one of the WORSE things you can do. LFS are notorious for having bad water quality in their displays (at least a lot of them) so I personally won't trust any water from them.

Do you self a favor if you don't have one, find a used one on your local board. When I go to an LFS and I see people hauling in 10 - 5 gallon jugs to get filled I just honestly laugh to myself. That is one quick way to get yourself out of the hobby quickly if you ask me.

I agree having your own unit is a great idea but I can think of far worse things hobbiests can do besides buying LFS water. My LFS has a number of packed sps tanks with huge colonies. How bad could their water be?

There are definitely stores I wouldn't buy water from, but not all are bad.

But again, owning an rodi unit is a great idea regardless.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good water filtration system is far more useful that people realize. Yes, my RO/DI system provides zero TDS water for my ATO and water changes, but it does far more.

Crystal clear ice cubes.
Clean, non chlorinated (or what have you) drinking water.
No lime or scale build up in your coffee pot, humidifier, etc.
No more buying or carrying cases of plastic water bottles... This one was huge for me.

Note: DI resin for daily use is impractical. Save the DI for your tank. RO is sufficient for any of the above.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree having your own unit is a great idea but I can think of far worse things hobbiests can do besides buying LFS water. My LFS has a number of packed sps tanks with huge colonies. How bad could their water be?

There are definitely stores I wouldn't buy water from, but not all are bad.

But again, owning an rodi unit is a great idea regardless.

You have a good LFS then. Not a lot of places around here where you can go to the LFS and buy colonies of SPS.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a good LFS then. Not a lot of places around here where you can go to the LFS and buy colonies of SPS.

That's a fair point, maybe it's not the norm. They are actually display tanks he has, the colonies aren't for sale. He frags them often though. Most colonies are over 12"

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just expanded mine.
20180304_034703.jpg

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good water filtration system is far more useful that people realize. Yes, my RO/DI system provides zero TDS water for my ATO and water changes, but it does far more.

Crystal clear ice cubes.
Clean, non chlorinated (or what have you) drinking water.
No lime or scale build up in your coffee pot, humidifier, etc.
No more buying or carrying cases of plastic water bottles... This one was huge for me.

Note: DI resin for daily use is impractical. Save the DI for your tank. RO is sufficient for any of the above.
I completely agree with this! Much more benefit to an RODI than simply clean water for the aquarium.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back