Really weird issues with AquaticLife RODI 4 stage, stops after a few gallons

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R Community,

I am having the strangest experience with my RODI system. This system has been in place for 2-3 years and was running decently before this behavior began. The system is an AquaticLife 4 stage 75GPD twist in unit and it ran great for two years, feeding a smaller 2.5g container using an Apex solenoid on shut off with a float shutoff as well. I also had one of those automatic valves the unit comes with to shut off the input as it filled and the float in the container stopped the line.

The issue: This unit also has a small Apex flow monitor on it and used to get 3-6GPH through it on average. I think it can get up to 10 at times but now I cannot get any flow. I have removed the auto shut off from the input and outputs. I have removed the electric solenoid. The RODI system has only a manual valve to turn on the flow from a sink, which appears to have enough pressure and the flow value from Apex just after it. I have replaced all filters to start and found that when flushing, I could add flush caps to the DI resin at 4th stage, the RO membrane at 3 and even the charcoal at 2nd and there was not a lot of flow. Once all were replaced, we thought we had sufficient flow and it worked for 2-4gal then began the same symptoms of waste flow but less than 1gph input. I then replaced the sediment and charcoal again with new filters again, everything improved and I was able to make water again.

Once switching the first and second stage of the unit again with the previous new ones that appeared to clog, after draining of course, these worked fine and the unit once again produced another 2-4gal of water. I don't have dirty water that I know of and this is the same water that goes to the refrigerator water dispenser and filter. Those still work fine. The pressure to the sink about this unit appears fine. I don't get it but it's like as soon as I replace filters the water stops being produced. I have noticed that temps below 50F will result in lower water production, which is what I am expecting but not none at all.

This has been happening for about two months and I want to stop reefing because of it... can anyone help me out?

1710089746274.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi - so - my recommendation - disconnect all of the extraneous equipment (seems like you have done most)? Anyway, I would recommend taking off the extraneous stuff on that system, trying to run it as a product you just bought (i.e. no other things) - and see what happens. Perhaps more importantly - I would make sure your county - or whatever - didn't change the chemistry/contents of the water - and consider (sorry I can't remember if someone said) - re-check your water pressure

Edit - water pressure from the tap - and not with a flowmeter designed for aquaria

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FYI - I'm leaning towards a water company change - since when you replaced your filters, there was improvement.

OP
OP
OfficeReefer

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno what it was. I went through several filters and added a pressure gauge for sanity. I also bought their booster pump since it would help when it's colder. I changed it with an RO buddy without DI for now and its been great. I really don't know what it was... someone at the company thought it might have been the rail in the unit.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back