Poll: How do you battle Aiptasia?

How do you battle Aiptasia?

• Chemically - Aiptasia X/Joe's Juice/Etc.

Votes: 154 32.0%
  • Laser

Votes: 21 4.4%
  • Majano Wand

Votes: 14 2.9%
  • Matted Filefish

Votes: 40 8.3%
  • Copperband Butterfly Fish

Votes: 48 10.0%
  • Peppermint Shrimp

Votes: 154 32.0%
  • Berghia Nudibranches

Votes: 72 14.9%
  • Boiling Water / Lemon Juice

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Kalkwasser Paste

Votes: 48 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 45 9.3%
  • I've never had Aiptasia - Yet!

Votes: 65 13.5%

• Total voters

kruley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peppermint shrimp takes care of the new, smaller ones and I use Aptasia X for the ones that are larger.

Jeremy Gibbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Butterfly fish. If that's not possible I use a syringe to inject their tissue with lime juice.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my light sabre. [emoji23]
20171220_153641.jpg
Nice. Saber Forge or Ultra Saber? I have wanting to build a Graflex ESB saber.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me berghia nudis was a solution to get rid of aiptasia.

kuruptko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only peppermint shrimp no chemicals
Also put some peppermint shrimp in your sump
I was plagued with aptaisha and that's what I did to my 130 gallon tank I put three in the display tank and four in th sump

Jinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An army of peppermint shrimp will do the trick, my filefish does nothing and havent found any target treatments to work and many actually make the infestation worse.

tangtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My idol ate 2 out the 3 I have. Thought it may have been the cbb picking at them but caught the idol while it was in the act.

Dawn Dababneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have peppermint shrimp but they wont touch it, have done aiptasia-x and seems like every time I do it the population in my fuge explodes days after evicting first batch. looking to get a couple nudis to hopefully wipe them completely
I had a horrible outbreak of them and could not keep up with there removal so I purchased 8 Berghia Nudibranchs and resolved the problem in a weeks time in my 150 gallon mixed reef. The only problem is the nudibranches die as soon as The Aiptasia is gone

Suzanne webster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia X . tricky little pests but lucky have not had but a few it did the trick a few I had to do more than once but my tank is free from them now! I also added a peppermint shrimp but he stays under the live rocks not sure what he is doing under there but he is happy!

Reeftown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve spent many hundreds of dollars on berghia nudibranchs. They are worthless. I have no peppermints or wrasse in my tanks that would prey upon them. I’ve waited for them to reproduce. I’ve waited for them to eat aptaisia. I’ve seen nothing. @Reeftown simply wont respond. I’d recommend anything but these things.

I’ve tried aptaisia X which seems to work the best but has done nothing really to eliminate the problem. All it does is get them out of sight for a while. My next step is a combo of matted filefish and peppermints. And continue to pray that I don’t just quit the hobby altogether because of these things.
I have a coupla questions for you please. 1. When did you put these in your tank? 2. How many did you put in your tank and what size, S, M, or L? 3. How large is your aquarium? 4. When did you reach out to Reeftown, because they have NEVER refused to get back to someone? How did you try to contact them? With these answers I may be able to shed some light on your problem and solution.

Razz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only battle with aptasia occurred at the beginning of my tank. I was starting the tank cycle, used mostly dry rock, but I also bought 2 pieces of live rock from a lfs...turns out it had aptasia...at first I thought it cool...look! FREEBIES!!...then I found out what they were. I used Aptasia X because I had nothing in the tank livestockwise and could experiment. I wiped them out, or so I thought...fast forward to about 6 months after my tank had cycled...I was just looking behind rocks that were close to the backglass and what did I see? yea, some cool little critters but also APTASIA....I did some research, bought 2 peppermint shrimp and within a week the aptasia was gone, never to return. Now, having said that, I've read about many occasions where a peppermint shrimp won't touch them...maybe I just had beginner's luck?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back