Plotting My Attack on Aiptasia

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking there was a good chance I got my wrasses ( Halichoeres & Hortulanus) an expensive snack adding a dozen Berghias to my 115 gallon. I put them in after they were asleep under the sand, put them all in a group on the rocks with all pumps off until they went off and hid. They were definitely small, like 1/4" long.

This was about 4 weeks ago. My wrasses are pretty late sleepers, I Was really hoping they would never cross paths, but I have looked at night several times with a blue flashlight and not seen a single one. No impact to aiptasia population yet.

Seeing your comment is giving me hope they're still there. Was considering going and getting an aiptasia eating filefish today but am worried about some LPS one of which a blastos I just love and would be bummed if he got messed with. Still might pull the trigger on that, sounds like they're easy enough to catch if problematic

My aiptasia-eating filefish has not bothered my blastos and I have had her maybe three years. However she also did not really eat Aiptasia and did destroy two large colonies of Duncanopsammia. Of course every fish has its own preferences so no guarantee it won't bother your blasts.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking there was a good chance I got my wrasses ( Halichoeres & Hortulanus) an expensive snack adding a dozen Berghias to my 115 gallon. I put them in after they were asleep under the sand, put them all in a group on the rocks with all pumps off until they went off and hid. They were definitely small, like 1/4" long.

This was about 4 weeks ago. My wrasses are pretty late sleepers, I Was really hoping they would never cross paths, but I have looked at night several times with a blue flashlight and not seen a single one. No impact to aiptasia population yet.

Seeing your comment is giving me hope they're still there. Was considering going and getting an aiptasia eating filefish today but am worried about some LPS one of which a blastos I just love and would be bummed if he got messed with. Still might pull the trigger on that, sounds like they're easy enough to catch if problematic.
Give them more time.
If you buy that file fish, that fish will eat the berghia.

When the berghia eat aiptasia they start to taste like aiptasia. Wrasse won't eat berghia when they turn brown after eating aiptasia.

Give them 4 months, they hide, they're small, they're brown, they're hard to see at night.

Trust me. I have used them with wrasse in the past. They work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back