Poll: How Have You Battled Cyano?

Battling Cyano - What has worked best for you?

• Nothing - I let it run its course

Votes: 200 31.7%
  • Chemiclean/Red Slime Remover treatment

Votes: 240 38.0%
  • Add/increase GFO

Votes: 52 8.2%
  • UV

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Increased water changes

Votes: 100 15.8%
  • Hydrogen Peroxide

Votes: 29 4.6%
  • I've never had to battle a Cyano outbreak

Votes: 83 13.2%

• Total voters

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean for me as well, I use it about every 4 months on both tanks just as a maintenance measure. I avoid amino acids or foods such as Acropower......Sometimes I do a light reduction.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good experience adding additional bacteria to my tank. Like MB7 or the like; something that adds additional strains of bacteria to outcompete it.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did not find my way in the voting options ...

I treat cyano with azithromycin in a single dose of 1 mg / liter, directly in the DT. In 100% of the times I used this treatment the cyanobacteria were eliminated in 3 to 4 days, with no consequence for corals, crustaceans (including pods), snails, worms or fish. In almost all the times there was no alteration of the biological filter and, when there was, there was only a slight elevation of the nitrite, without ammonia appearance and without nitrate increase. I did not change the feeding routine and aquarium lights at all, I only removed the activated charcoal and the cup of the skimmer during the time of treatment.

The treatment time was as necessary for the aquarium to be two days of normal light cycle, with no return of cyano. On average, a total treatment time of 6 or 7 days.

After the treatment, it is enough to return the activated charcoal and the cup of the skimmer and, after 24 hours of this, to realize partial exchange of water 25% to dilute the altered parameters.

I do not consider that the approach to antibiotics should be the first to be considered, but if corals and even biology is threatened by a particularly invasive or toxic strain of cyano, I find it extremely "courageous" to allow it to proceed as "natural metods" do not have the effect of controlling it.

Best regards

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other main competitor to a direct control method is the balance of increasing nitrate or phosphate back to balanced levels vs nutrient restriction. nutrient balancing is gaining strength in 2018.
I'm not sure this is a competitor, just a different version of the same thing. When you take apart a small DT to clean it you are essentially doing a nutrient reset to restore balance. When that isn't practical other methods of restoring that balance are required.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've successfully eliminated it only one time - and that was with a three-day blackout. Water movement turned out to be a myth in my case - two x-50 Gyres running fwd/reverse in a 65, and the stuff was growing thick. Haven't had it crop up in the 220. (Watch - now it will!)

~Bruce

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have I dual treatment that I will not post.

But.. Since I was able to keep phos. and nitrates in-balance with out the need to carbon dose...
Have not had a new cyano outbreak in a year and a half.

Carbon dosing fuels good and bad bacteria.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've successfully eliminated it only one time - and that was with a three-day blackout. Water movement turned out to be a myth in my case - two x-50 Gyres running fwd/reverse in a 65, and the stuff was growing thick. Haven't had it crop up in the 220. (Watch - now it will!)

~Bruce
(lol)
Bruce,
We both just put the Voodoo on our reefs :eek: :)

Freddie

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do lights out for a few days. I have tried other means and every time I do lights out, my corals survive with no issues. I can’t say the same about other means.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current 30 gal is a rehab rbuld of my jbj. It was coated in sheets of cyano.
When I transferred tanks, I scrubbed and rinsed and used a bit of peroxide.
Once backnin the new tank the sheets formed immediately.
I was also acclimating the tank to a 150w 20k radium MH.

Several of the rocks tested positive for bound Po4 the day I did the scrub and transfer.

I put a small hob fuge on the back of the tank.

Over the course of two months I slowly increased the intensity of the MH with proximity and time.

I disturbed the cyano by blowing it off before water changes.
I added more and more more corals to the tank
I did my water changes with natural seawater.

I fed the fish normally , with several types of frozen foods.

The cyano patches eventually got smaller and smaller , some , interestingly, formed on Rock branches in very high flow.

Corals all grew pretty well in that time Esp the sps.

So, high Light, waterchanges, competed for nutrients with coral.

Would have been nice if my skimmer worked well at the time. Or at all really.

That was pretty much the last time I fought cyano , two years ago.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other main competitor to a direct control method is the balance of increasing nitrate or phosphate back to balanced levels vs nutrient restriction. nutrient balancing is gaining strength in 2018.

I have seen this more and more lately. What does it mean to balance nitrate and phosphate, versus running low nutrients?

Back to the thread, I have a very small cyano outburst, and I’m trying to figure out the cause. And what, if anything, to do about it right now .

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this more and more lately. What does it mean to balance nitrate and phosphate, versus running low nutrients?

Back to the thread, I have a very small cyano outburst, and I’m trying to figure out the cause. And what, if anything, to do about it right now .
The idea is that "good algae/bacteria" will outcompete the cyano and dino's as long as there is enough PO4 and NO3 for them to do so. If you run deficient on one or the other that opens the window to the ugly bacteria.

This often works but definitely not always. There are so many strains of cyanobacteria and dinoflagellates that no single treatment would ever be effective on all of them. The best we can do, short of microscopic identification, is offer advice on what works for "typical" species of each.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One doesn't battle cyano, the only option is full warfare. I've done a black out, new filter media, manual removal, water changes, etc, I'm only now seeing it beginning to weaken.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is that "good algae/bacteria" will outcompete the cyano and dino's as long as there is enough PO4 and NO3 for them to do so. If you run deficient on one or the other that opens the window to the ugly bacteria.

This often works but definitely not always. There are so many strains of cyanobacteria and dinoflagellates that no single treatment would ever be effective on all of them. The best we can do, short of microscopic identification, is offer advice on what works for "typical" species of each.

I see. So what should the balance be? (Eg 10 ppm trates and 0.1 phosphate?) Are there any articles available?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. So what should the balance be? (Eg 10 ppm trates and 0.1 phosphate?) Are there any articles available?
There’s not a balance. It’s a limitation.
If one has zero N and some P. It’s N limited. And vice versa.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree with both of the above post. If one bottoms out, could be trouble.

The last strain that I had, phos and nitrates were perfect, but this was some kinda funky hybird ;Wacky

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This +1

The problem with trying to find the balance is that we have no way to actually measure it. Taking water samples and testing NO3 is fine and useful. The problem is that it only tells you the NO3 content of the water at that particular time. It doesn't give you any accurate indication of other sources of nitrates in your system.

All we can try to do is look for limitations. If your system looks great and you have 0ppm of NO3 and PO4 I wouldn't change a thing.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. Then, you should have about the same of each. With the caveat that "about the same" is fuzzy, bit it's not 0:0.1, or 10:0.03. Or 20 and 1.5. As long as your system doesn't look out of whack. :D :D

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I start getting patches, I first, will add a cap or two if seachem no3. I find in my tank, a lack of and indications of stunt algae growth, I'll get the cyano.
Opposite for me and dino, Ill add po4, still with the lack of algae growth indications as well.

I now look, observe the aquarium for critter foods / algae growth to kinda confirm if I am lacking nutrients, which in this particular tank is quite often.

Not testing with numbers and chasing so much anymore. It's a bit trickier without the mass load of corals to go by color indication in a new tank, so I use algae as a souce.
-critters to consume.

Untill my bio load is higher, and I get a lot more coral to consume, I try and control through dosing. It has been working for me. aling with the complete stopping of the stupid terminology "probiotic" .... carbon dosing.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back