Poll: What fish diseases have you encountered?

What fish diseases have you dealt with? - Multiple Choice

• Ich

Votes: 345 72.5%
  • Marine Velvet

Votes: 126 26.5%
  • Flukes

Votes: 100 21.0%
  • Brooklynella

Votes: 58 12.2%
  • Bacterial Infection

Votes: 124 26.1%
  • Lymphocystis

Votes: 70 14.7%
  • HLLE

Votes: 88 18.5%
  • Other - Discuss in thread

Votes: 26 5.5%
  • None

Votes: 79 16.6%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a member suggest a poll that looks at what, if any, fish diseases we have dealt with in our reefing careers. I have to say I've been lucky and haven't had any (at least that have shown visible signs anyway). I hope I didn't just jinx myself. We have some tremendous members that work tirelessly in the disease forum to battle these issues, so I would recommend taking a look in that forum if you need specific help.

But this is just a simply poll to see what you've had to deal with in the past. Too many to list all of them but I've tried to capture the most "common" ones I could think of.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people frequently misdiagnose velvet as ich. I’ve seen almost everything except brook. I probably have run in to brook years ago but thought it velvet.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine velvet. Yuck. My dt went to fallow then now my nano. Will be done this weekend. My nano fish that were qt's are now in my fuge. They cant wait to go from a 10g fuge to a 20 gallon nano. Now all of my fish get qt'd. sucks that I have killed more than half of my fish in qt because I believe I over coppered them. :(

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got something that killed all my fish. Was gonna buy some fish last night. But didn't see anything rare or unusual and thought my corals are looking fantastic without fish. Didn't want to mess up that chemistry. I guess if I see something cool and rare I might buy it. For now fishless. Still swallowing the 4-5k that was lost in this last loss of fish.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Molly Miller Blenny that I collected. I had it for a few months and then something started making its face waste away. It was so bad that one side of its face was almost gone and you could see bone. The affected area was about the size of my thumbnail at its worst. I couldnt catch the fish and no other fish were affected so I just let it run it's course. It stopped spreading and the tissue on the face grew back to the point where after a couple months, you couldnt tell anything had ever happened.

MightyMouse85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 years ago I never ran across hlle, ich, velvet, or bacterial issues. I started my new tank last year and a QT due to size and valume of stock. Now I have lost 3/4 of my fish from thses issues

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crypto, HLLE and one bug-eye for me, but that's just the ones that were identifiable. I really hate the 'mystery' deaths - no obvious signs of anything but they just start hiding and fade away.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pop eye,ich, bacterial/fungi infection, flukes and white stringy poop. I’ve lost fish before in the FW days but I have always taken an interest in fish health,symptoms, cause and cures. Currently I am treating 8 fish with two different QTs and I haven’t lost a soul in QT since I started. Thanks to R2R and the fish disease forums

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dealing with disease is part of owning an aquarium. I have been blessed to only face mostly minor issues when it comes to sickness. Ich being the main problem.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought...

It would be interesting if we could know how many (if any) of the posted diagnoses were correct since almost nobody ID's fish pests except by eyeball.

I haven't read anything that indicates it's really possible to ID ectoparasites by eyeball....only the opposite, that it's easy to confuse parasites with each other that way.

I'd encourage anyone planning to keep fish to have a basic microscope on hand for this purpose. It doesn't have to cost much at all ($10 and up). See: Selecting a microscope You can take pics and movies with your smartphone and post them online to get help making the actual ID.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having seahorses it is expected that I would deal with bacterial infections. Fortunately the rate of cure using antibiotics is quite good.

Even when I had other fish I did not have disease much. I tend to stock my tank and then leave it alone. I have had fish live to be over 10 years old regularly and I attribute it to not bringing in new tankmates all the time and feeding them well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst of them all... parasitic isopods

DSC_0011_zpsaf67ed92_1.jpg
DSC_0013_zpsa5afd47c.jpg
DSC_0018_zps8603b2bb.jpg
DSC_0020_zps14e2ae3e_1.jpg
DSC_0024_zpsf80fcc2a_1.jpg

And don't forget about the :p eating isopod

4823845810_cfeec8ac41.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having seahorses it is expected that I would deal with bacterial infections. Fortunately the rate of cure using antibiotics is quite good.

Which antibiotic(s) work best for treating seahorse infections?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought...

It would be interesting if we could know how many (if any) of the posted diagnoses were correct since almost nobody ID's fish pests except by eyeball.

I haven't read anything that indicates it's really possible to ID ectoparasites by eyeball....only the opposite, that it's easy to confuse parasites with each other that way.

I'd encourage anyone planning to keep fish to have a basic microscope on hand for this purpose. It doesn't have to cost much at all ($10 and up). See: Selecting a microscope You can take pics and movies with your smartphone and post them online to get help making the actual ID.
If you know the lifecycle of a given parasite, it’s very simple to diagnose (IE velvet and ich) without a microscope.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very simple for who?
Anyone that can observe how long a particular spot or several spots are on a fish, and can read a forum post! :D

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know the lifecycle of a given parasite, it’s very simple to diagnose (IE velvet and ich) without a microscope.
Or symptoms like white stringy poop

Very simple for who?
He means you can narrow down diseases by keeping track of symptoms (life cycles) and effectively treat accordingly for example ich or velvet

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or little white sprinkles all over the fish... obviously an immune response (excess mucous) to an ectoparasite of some sort.

90% of the time copper or Chloroquine takes care of the problem. I like those odds. :) Better than doing nothing. ;)

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet, ich, black ich, uronema, bacterial/fungus infection, lympho, popeye and flukes all from the same LFS. So trying now online to see if I have better luck. In the hobby less then a year.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back