Poll: What is Your Preferred Salt Brand?

What is Your Preferred Salt Brand?

• Aquaforest

Votes: 63 6.5%
  • Red Sea

Votes: 253 26.1%
  • Instant Ocean

Votes: 313 32.3%
  • ESV

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • Brightwell

Votes: 11 1.1%
  • HW Marinemix

Votes: 47 4.9%
  • Tropic Marin

Votes: 67 6.9%
  • Fritz

Votes: 109 11.3%
  • I use natural sea/ocean water

Votes: 17 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 7.9%

• Total voters

Polyp_Addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals for me only downside is having to clean mixing barrel every now and again.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Red Sea "Blue Bucket" and see no need to make a change.
Very stable mix from batch to batch and my new saltwater mixing has been coming into the Red Sea "My Batch" reports.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so surprised on how few are using the HW Marinemix salt. I researched quite a bit and it was liked by so many...so I started using it. I have had many batches made and zero residual left over in my Brute can! I mixed up one 25g batch of Reef Crystals Instant Ocean and my Brute can, heater, powerhead, etc... were coated in a terrible brown residue! I can't believe anyone would use that stuff when there is so much cleaner stuff out there!

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so surprised on how few are using the HW Marinemix salt. I researched quite a bit and it was liked by so many...so I started using it. I have had many batches made and zero residual left over in my Brute can! I mixed up one 25g batch of Reef Crystals Instant Ocean and my Brute can, heater, powerhead, etc... were coated in a terrible brown residue! I can't believe anyone would use that stuff when there is so much cleaner stuff out there!
Because it's more expensive and the residue from IO doesn't really bother me.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it's more expensive and the residue from IO doesn't really bother me.

Have you noticed if it coats your equipment in the tank and sump? Or is it only with the mixing?

HW Marinemix is more expensive, but I just try to buy what i will need for the year from BRS during black Friday and its almost $20/box less than normal... which brings it in line with the other brands. They've had it on sale now during the last 2 years.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed if it coats your equipment in the tank and sump? Or is it only with the mixing?

HW Marinemix is more expensive, but I just try to buy what i will need for the year from BRS during black Friday and its almost $20/box less than normal... which brings it in line with the other brands. They've had it on sale now during the last 2 years.

I've only been running my system for about 6 months now so I don't have a ton of experience but as far as I can tell I'm only seeing that residue on the mixing container and equipment in it. I need to plan for the black Friday sale next year! I was not prepared. lol

And I'm using regular IO not RC. May switch to RC or some other salt at some point but with the small amount of little frags I have currently I'm maintaining levels of the big 3 with just WC's. No dosing, no need to start at higher levels with my freshly mixed salt water.

Last edited:

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same here, always stock up on black friday, $50 for the 160g box

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coralife Marine Salt since it was on sale at my LFS. So far I've had good results. I still have enough to make around 100 gallons of water, so I'll be sticking with it for some time.

How long do you mix it for? recently purchased some.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted HW cause its the one ive been able to find cheaper latest. And Alk is in my range.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.5%
Back