Poly-Filter

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if any of you have been to the blog section on here you will see a blog about Poly-Filter. Now I have a question. I have a 28 gallon AIO tank. In the back I have a small bag of carbon and some times the SeaChem Phosphate remover. The Poly-Filter (according to the blog) if placed in a high flow area is just like using carbon. Plus it removes a lot of other stuff from the water. I was wondering if anyone out here is using it? Also if I where to use it shoudl I take out my normal bag of carbon.?The bag is not that big and I would have to use a small piece of the Poly-Filter so that it would fit in the back.

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could use both both if you wanted to. keep in mind that poly filters will trap debris like any other filter pad, so you may want to clean or replace them regularly.

Junkie

Addicted since 05'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have been using polyfilter along with carbon for years. All my filtration is HOB, I use a penguin biowheel and instead of using thier inserts I cut the polyfilter to fit, and have a bag filled with carbon tossed in. I change out the polyfilter on a weekly basis. IMO it's not the most efficent way to filter a tank but i'm happy with the results it has given me. If I let the polyfilter go for more than a week it starts to leach back into the tank. I notice a big difference in water clarity when I don't use carbon. So I wouldn't say it's as efficent as carbon, but it makes for a good straining media.

Last edited:

lowbudget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use the poly pad and carbon the same time. the poly pad removes meds, sun tan lotion, metals, p04. al ot of stuff. example. my buddies tank last week his family friend knock down his frag rack so he decieded to help him pick it up forgetting he has sun block on and my buddies efflo receded so in a panic he didnt know what to do. he called he and he came over to get one of my poly pad did a small water change skim wet and lost nothing else. i use it in case of emergencies. sometimes i use it from time to time if my p04 get out of hand. the poly pad kind of exspesive so i cant use it all the time.

Fragged_it

Dremel_Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes i use it from time to time if my p04 get out of hand. the poly pad kind of exspesive so i cant use it all the time.

I use it when I think I have a contaminate and I'll put a piece between my bulb traps for a week every other month (or so...)

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if any of you have been to the blog section on here you will see a blog about Poly-Filter. Now I have a question. I have a 28 gallon AIO tank. In the back I have a small bag of carbon and some times the SeaChem Phosphate remover. The Poly-Filter (according to the blog) if placed in a high flow area is just like using carbon. Plus it removes a lot of other stuff from the water. I was wondering if anyone out here is using it? Also if I where to use it shoudl I take out my normal bag of carbon.?The bag is not that big and I would have to use a small piece of the Poly-Filter so that it would fit in the back.

I use neither and balance out the tank with macro algaes and dose as appropriate.

IMHO these filters remove too many things which feed the macros. And that is by design.

my .02

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back